Bleach/Chlorine Tablets for cleaning dead rock

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if the chemistry gods can answer some questions. Is there any reason why I couldn't use bleach tablets such as found in link below or pool chlorine tablets to clean some live rock? Local grocery store was out of unscented liquid bleach and I became curious.

I know pool chlorine tablets release Cyanuric Acid but not entirely sure if that is an additive or stabilizer or just a result of the process. Not sure if the tablets in the link would leach.
More of a curiosity question and will likely just go across town and buy it or wait a week.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down my old tank and the rock was covered with aiptasia, bits of soft coral I removed and likely dead snails/hermits I couldn't find.

Edit: Dead rock! Its been out of the tank for a few weeks now.

Andy Reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but to avoid asking the same question over again. If you were to add enough Chlorine tablets to achieve the same strength would that be equivalent or is there a significant chemical difference?

The reason I ask is that liquid thin bleach is currently in very short supply in the UK and I would like to cure my rock prior to adding to the new system.

Assuming supermarket bleach is up to 5% (50,000ppm). Am I correct in thinking it would be necessary to use 33 of these tablets to achieve an equivalent 1:10 bleach solution in a 10L bucket of RO?

1:10 solution would be ~5000ppm
1 tablet produces 1500ppm in 1L, therefore 3.3 tablets gives 5000ppm in 1L
Multiply by 10L to get 33 tablets

https://www.hygiene4less.co.uk/product/chlorine-tablets/

Many thanks,
Andy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be worth a try.

It is chemically different, and if the goal is to breakdown and remove organic matter (as opposed to kill bacteria), I do not know how effective it is. The difference is mostly a pH difference.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back