Bleaching rock - Winter time safety

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I wanted to get some advice on how to best cure some old rock that I just got for a new tank. I'm new to the hobby so I don't want to do anything totally stupid. The rock I got was from a former reefer who had pulled it from his tank >1 year ago and since then it was sitting outside in a trash can, dry. There was definitely some gunk on it though, so reading the forums/watching BRS it looked like bleaching was a great way to go to really speed up the cure. The issue I have is that it's winter time in Wisconsin, so it's freezing temps outside. Ergo, I'm not sure how to proceed.

I have a detached garage that stays warm enough to prevent freezing. So the honest truth is that I dropped the rock in there tonight with 15 gallons of water and 1 gallon of bleach (a little less than the 10:1 ratio I've heard is typical, but it was all the bleach I had). I convinced myself this would be safety enough since it's a detached garage and so we don't generally go in there except to get in the car. If we need to go in the garage during the cure (I've heard 1 week, but would take advice on that) I would put on my full face respirator, open the man door, then open the main garage doors and let it air out for awhile (I guess trying to replicate the ventilation I'd have if I were to put the rock/Brute can outside like I would do if it wasn't freezing temps). After the fresh air had circulated for awhile I'd feel safe enough to at least go in and back out the car.

Once the cure was over I would plan to leave the doors open for awhile, again just to make sure there were several air changes and prevent any issues.

BUT, if you guys say that is a totally stupid idea I will listen, as I said, I'm new to the hobby. That being said, since I started the process as I mentioned, I'd also appreciate thoughts on how I should proceed to rectify the situation as safely as possible.

I'm really excited about getting this first tank setup. But the more I learn the more "dangers" seem to pop up. Alas.

Anyway, thanks again for any advice. Build thread to come soon.

Regards,
David

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Muriatic acid. It is stronger and will guarantee nothing survives the rock. It works fast. You will see all the gunk bubbling off of the rock. Let me be clear though if you do decide to use. DO NOT MIX with bleach. Pull rock out let dry for a few days then make an acid bath for the rock. Muriatic acid is easy to find at your big box stores. This is what I used and it really cleaned my rock up nice.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used bleach on rocks in a brute can with a lid, in my spare bedroom.

Only time I could really smell it was when I opened the lid. No need for the respirator and all that junk. lol

1 week in bleach, then I did 1 week in RO/DI and prime. Then a week in plain RO/DI.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is actually better than acid unless you are looking to take a small amount of rock off. BRS did a video on it.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. As I mentioned, it’s still in the bleach. Since it was above freezing today I opened all the garage doors and let it air out for awhile incase there was something there. I then pulled the brute can outside and let it do it’s thing outside all day. I’ll just keep bringing it outside every time it’s above freezing, so at least some of the nasty stuff won’t be in my garage.

My plan is to leave it for a week (per BRS) then change out the water with fresh ro/di, brush off anything that’s left, and us a dechlorinator and soak again for a day or so until the test strips read no chlorine. Then I’ll change the water again and remove final loose stuff and hopefully it will be ready for SW and some good bacteria.

I really appreciate any other advice.
Cheers!
David

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hudson WI? Take that rock out of the can after a week, brush it off and then wash if off in the snow. Use the weather to your advantage. What ever survives the bleach will certainly die a brutal quick death buried in a freezing snow bank.

Then just bring it back into the garage and let it dry out a bit. Once the chlorine smell is gone put it in some snow melt add salt and bacteria and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, indeed. That would have been a great plan last Saturday when we got 14" of snow. But then it warmed up this week and melted (boo). Anyway, it's still appreciated. I'll be pulling the rock out of the bleach today, giving it a rinse, then back into the water with some dechlorinator just to be safe. I'm excited to see what it looks like after a week of bleach.

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used bleach on rocks in a brute can with a lid, in my spare bedroom.

Only time I could really smell it was when I opened the lid. No need for the respirator and all that junk. lol

1 week in bleach, then I did 1 week in RO/DI and prime. Then a week in plain RO/DI.
Any idea if bleach cure would compromise a rock work aquascaped with epoxy and superglue? Im also doing this curing my rocks but I aquascaped my rock first with 2-part epoxy and I also used brs superglue gel

OP
OP
GalaxyBenny

GalaxyBenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m not totally sure but this is what I will say. The rock I got had some big ugly areas of epoxy and superglue from the previous persons aquascape. I honestly didn’t try to remove them prior to the cure because I didn’t know exactly which would be visible in my design. After curing I got stuff setup how I wanted, grabbed a hammer/chisel and pliers thinking I was in for a fight. Nope. Everything peeled off with essentially just my fingers.

I have trouble believing the bond was that weak before curing, so my anecdotal evidence would say the bleach does hurt the bond of the epoxy/superglue.

Sorry, I’m sure that’s not the answer you were hoping for :/

Back