OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’m using superglue and instaset to build and then mortaring the seems. One rock structure is in the tank. It was perfect, but I used my old batch with it. I thought the left side was fine, but one of the smaller foundation rocks had its mortar literally crumble. So I re did that one and actually put mortar in between the right side broke all over the place, so doing it a piece at a two hour time interval.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!!! Now this will give you even more of a reason to go to the WWC super sales!!!
The wwc live sales are THE REASON I had to upgrade.

this is going to be an lps tank... an even bigger sps tank will be next.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I al
I used the mortar for my other aquascape and it was perfect. I called the consistency “just melting ice cream”, aka, milkshake. LOL. The newer bucket I have is just not doing the same thing as the older bucket. (The older bucket is perfect, the newer bucket is having issues.)

And @Billldg that was just stacked and balanced to see if I was going to like the pattern I was going for. I’m breaking up the rocks and working with much smaller pieces now. That side changed a bit too to be more supportive. Let me got take a picture.

image.jpg
I already have the name for your new tank...ICE AGE. That looks like a brontosaurus. Sorry, me just acting like a kid, couldn't resist, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Facepalm :p

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I al

I already have the name for your new tank...ICE AGE. That looks like a brontosaurus. Sorry, me just acting like a kid, couldn't resist, LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Facepalm :p
Yassss!!! I actually keep thinking it looks like something I’d see in a natural history museum.

Word I Agree GIF by INTO ACTION

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the texture I was working with.

That should work, it will just take a little longer to dry. It depends on the dryness of the rock and how much the rock will absorb as mortar is supposed to dry from the inside out like concrete. You may need to soak the rock in water to prevent the rock from sucking out the moisture from the mortar. With my Marco rock I had already rinsed the rock to get rid of the powdery dust and debris beforehand. Concrete dries from the inside out, which is why is will dry under water.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my little tank I used thick super glue and sand, then sprayed it with the quick cure and it held almost instantly.

that’s what I’m doing too minus the sand. Instaset, super glue, then when I’m certain I’m happy, coming back with the mortar. I may just need to let it cure for 48 hours. If that’s not working, I may try the nyos stuff.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh, I only used about 10 percent of the 2nd bucket of mortar that I know dries properly. If you need it let me know and I will ship it to you. My scape is wet, and thus, I can't use the mortar anymore. I would hate for it to go to waste.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tanks are you up to now? That's gonna to be a slick lps system for sure
4 in the house currently. But one Is the biocube that will be a ht and one is the one I’m working on. Once I move stuff over, I’m thinking about making the cube a clown and anemone tank.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh, I only used about 10 percent of the 2nd bucket of mortar that I know dries properly. If you need it let me know and I will ship it to you. My scape is wet, and thus, I can't use the mortar anymore. I would hate for it to go to waste.

always so kind! I’ll let you know if the extra drying isn’t working. Are you going to any of the raps?

Last time I built the scape inside, so maybe building in the garage is causing a difference, we also are having a cold spell... somehow it’s been chill in April in North Carolina. Craziness!!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always so kind! I’ll let you know if the extra drying isn’t working. Are you going to any of the raps?

Last time I built the scape inside, so maybe building in the garage is causing a difference, we also are having a cold spell... somehow it’s been chill in April in North Carolina. Craziness!!
I will be at Reefapolooza Orlando. I will be primarily at the R2R booth.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be at Reefapolooza Orlando. I will be primarily at the R2R booth.

I got the 3 day ticket! Can’t wait to meet people in person, FINALLY! Let me know if y’all need any help at the booth! I’d love to have a “home base”. ;Hilarious

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 3 day ticket! Can’t wait to meet people in person, FINALLY! Let me know if y’all need any help at the booth! I’d love to have a “home base”. ;Hilarious
I bought the Diamond pass...2 years ago...LOL!!! Maybe I will finally get to use it. ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I highly recommend going to Living Reef Orlando and looking at their 800 gal lobby tank. I haven't seen it since Macna 2019, but it was the most gorgeous tank I have ever seen then.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Diamond pass...2 years ago...LOL!!! Maybe I will finally get to use it. ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

I highly recommend going to Living Reef Orlando and looking at their 800 gal lobby tank. I haven't seen it since Macna 2019, but it was the most gorgeous tank I have ever seen then.
That sounds amazing! We had passes and a hotel booked last year... but I think it was all refunded.

We’re going down on that Thursday and have a room booked until Sunday. I’m wondering if I need to extend another night, so I’m not stressing Sunday. I know I want to go to wwc, but want to check out other places too! I’ll 100% put that on the list!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds amazing! We had passes and a hotel booked last year... but I think it was all refunded.

We’re going down on that Thursday and have a room booked until Sunday. I’m wondering if I need to extend another night, so I’m not stressing Sunday. I know I want to go to wwc, but want to check out other places too! I’ll 100% put that on the list!
LRO and TSA are near each other, so they can both be done in a day easily. The TSA frag farm is right behind their store, not sure of the new LRO frag farm.

This is what the LRO tank looked like 2 years ago.

468196A3-F3B1-42BA-AE97-15A314B3DBF4.jpeg
2ACFF6A8-3CEB-4192-8515-5113161771AC.jpeg
6CB41B1D-4646-486A-8A81-D6C9E214F81B.jpeg

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back