Bleighs Red Sea 650 Peninsula... yet another tank in my house

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i just keep having equipment fail on me. Both Dos’s have had issues, my auto feeder is not working at the moment. Never could get my wms (or whatever it’s called for the eco tech stuff) to work. I’m waiting to see if they’re going to replace my 2 month old pmup. Never had issues with my tunze. I can’t find the receipt, so I have to call the store tomorrow to see if they have a copy. I would like to add a few flow meters and maybe just change to a solenoid that goes directly from my water change station to the tank (through the crawl space). Rap Orlando is going to have all the controller systems I’m considering. So I’m hoping to get a good feel for everything and make a decision after that.

I'm going with GHL on my build, they are usually at RAP and usually have a discount for anything you buy at the show. I think the new hydros controller looks promising and is super affordable.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else are you considering? After lots of reading reviews I'm leaning GHL myself because I'd rather it work forever than be blingy

GHL is top of my list right now. But hydros is pretty darn close.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with GHL on my build, they are usually at RAP and usually have a discount for anything you buy at the show. I think the new hydros controller looks promising and is super affordable.
Are you going to rap? Seth (@lostinreef) and I will be there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking build! Great scape work too.

This is hands down best dip you'll ever use. You can find threads with ml per litres/gallons but honestly over the years I've just gone by sight while adding it, judging the cloudiness of the water. I haven't lost a thing to bayers and I can't say the same for coral rx or melafix.

2 downsides to bayers
-it's toxic so I use clear solo cups, plastic utensils to stir and disposable latex gloves when using it. All disposable items when I'm done.
-when mixed right its hard to see what fell off. I use clear cups so I can look from below in direct sunlight for whatever fell off.

Here are my steps for coral additions using bayers:
Drip acclimate
Add tank water to solo cup
glove up
Remove plug and add frag to solo cup
Add bayers slowly while stirring with plastic fork and until its hard to make out the frag in the water due to cloudiness.
Let stand for 8-10 minutes stirring occassionally. I usually prep my frag plug or rock rubble with glue at this point.
fill second solo cup with tank water
Times up, grap frag from bottom with fork. With a gloved had I swirl the frag aggressively in the dip to remove any stunned critters.
Then the frag moves to the clean water solo cup and gets swished again looking for anything falling off.
Glue to plug and into display.

The last time I used melafix I ended up getting red bugs. Not the worst of pests but had me running right back to bayers. I always lost color with coral RX.
Definitely need to make sure I save these steps. I may even print them out and tape it to the Bayers bottle.

travel organize GIF by SoulPancake

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NICE... :) ..It looks soo empty...:p:cool:

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real good! Almost time to jump in another live sale lol

NICE... :) ..It looks soo empty...:p:cool:

I LOVE your scape. Your rock work is very nice. Tank needs more stuff in it ;) so much possibility with that one.

Great looking tank! Can't wait to see everything grown in.

Thank you!!! There is a ton of potential. Super excited about the whole thing. I’m getting a lot more swimming from My fish too. I think they are way more relaxed.

Trying to figure out the uv plumbing all weekend. Finally decided to scrap the current plans of having it vertical in the dry area. Trying to figure out how to mount it horizontally over the sump now. Also ordered a tiger shark glass cleaner. Going around with this stick is not a long term solution and my other magnets won’t work on such thick glass.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,which uv? i would recommend slight angle ,higher on output end when mounting horizontally .
level will sometimes leave air pockets .. :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,which uv? i would recommend slight angle ,higher on output end when mounting horizontally .
level will sometimes leave air pockets .. :)
I have a pentair 25 watt (I think it’s 25 watts) I use to have it sitting outside the cube vertically, but trying to keep things a little more clean this time.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I will stay with me Apex, I can't afford to switch, LOL!!! If I did switch it would be to GHL. It's not out of the question, but way way on the back burner.

You wanna guess we're I am at tight now. :rolleyes:

20210511_103728.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh , don't bother going to LRO, they tore out a bunch of their coral from their 800 gal display tank to move it to the farm.
Why is that? And will they let me see their farm?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I will stay with me Apex, I can't afford to switch, LOL!!! If I did switch it would be to GHL. It's not out of the question, but way way on the back burner.

You wanna guess we're I am at tight now. :rolleyes:

20210511_103728.jpg
Omg. So jealous! I’m leaving tomorrow afternoon so should be there by breakfast Thursday. I need a game plan for where I’m going.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? And will they let me see their farm?
Not sure, I didn't ask as their was only 1 person there. They tore out a lot of the corals to grow them in the farm. I know TSA will as they will have tours during this weekend, WWC may as well for the same reason. I think LRO's farm is still being built.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I didn't ask as their was only 1 person there. They tore out a lot of the corals to grow them in the farm. I know TSA will as they will have tours during this weekend, WWC may as well for the same reason. I think LRO's farm is still being built.
Fingers crossed we can find gas to get around and see the places. My husband is sitting in line at a gas station right now hoping to fill up completely so we can make it all the way there. Fingers crossed.
stressed mickey mouse GIF

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed we can find gas to get around and see the places. My husband is sitting in line at a gas station right now hoping to fill up completely so we can make it all the way there. Fingers crossed.
stressed mickey mouse GIF
Now I would be impressed if you can make it down here on one tank of gas, LOL!!!;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I would be impressed if you can make it down here on one tank of gas, LOL!!!;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
The truck can go about 550 miles on one tank. And it’s a 525 mile drive. So we’re about to see how accurate the estimate is.

Back