OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the active ingredients are the same as below. They have several that LOL the same.
4F5B8E20-8FC9-4E85-93A2-E2B19AF95BC3.jpeg
Yep. Same active ingredients. Sounds like I need to just accept it and use the Bayer (bio advanced) instead of melafix next time. It was a goniastrea from a lps tank. Hopefully there wouldn’t have been any red bugs. The coral looked great and the only thing I saw come off was a big amphipod. Fingers crossed. I mean... I was only dipping occasionally before. Any dip is better than nothing, right? A run in with monti eating nudis has changed my tune and everything will be dipped from now on.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Bayer for years. It is super easy on corals no question, but I did switch away for these reasons:
a) it is a simply a hazard and very tedious to work with. Multiple rinses and all that hassle
b) Very difficult to see what if anything is coming off in the dip. Clear glass bottom is best bet, but tedious.
c) It stuns stuff OK, but aefw will crawl around happily for hour and hours in the stuff.

Melafix and CoralRx are effective, but a bit harsh on some acros and millis.

For now, I have settled happily on potassium chloride @ 3gm / liter. 10 minutes and everything is dead, dead, dead except the corals of course. Mixes clear. Not dangerous. $18 a kilo food grade. This is an increasingly popular dip that is very gentle on SPS.

I’ll have to look that up. Do you know what mechanism allows it to kill everything but the coral?

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha!!! And it’s all your fault! How have you been? I’ve wondered what happened to you!

Been good. Nice to be back home finally and get settled in. Forgot how hot it gets here in the summer... so I've decided to bail to somewhere cooler for a few months out of the year. Will put a dent in my reefing habits for a few years until I decide what I'm doing and where. But for now I can scratch my itch with a vivarium which is far less maintenance and devotion.

Can't wait to see this thing stuffed with corals.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to look that up. Do you know what mechanism allows it to kill everything but the coral?
Will look for and copy/paste a description of how it is thought to work. Several big, sciency kinda words in it. But the short story is that it messes with the cell wall's ability to manage fluid levels in higher order creatures like these pests.

I had aefw so was dipping in this stuff weekly for 6-8 weeks. I could never deal with Bayer on that frequency and volume. (My dipping vat is 8 gallons.)

If you follow some of the high end SPS folks like @FarmerTy @SawCJack00 or @SBB Corals you will find they all use KCl as a part of their pest control routines.

Of course, nothing kills the eggs. That's how I got in all my trouble.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will look for and copy/paste a description of how it is thought to work. Several big, sciency kinda words in it. But the short story is that it messes with the cell wall's ability to manage fluid levels in higher order creatures like these pests.

I had aefw so was dipping in this stuff weekly for 6-8 weeks. I could never deal with Bayer on that frequency and volume. (My dipping vat is 8 gallons.)

If you follow some of the high end SPS folks like @FarmerTy @SawCJack00 or @SBB Corals you will find they all use KCl as a part of their pest control routines.

Of course, nothing kills the eggs. That's how I got in all my trouble.
All the science stuff would be great if you can find it. If not, ill look it up when I get a chance. Sounds like it impacts the neurological systems from your description, but I may be wrong. I just started following them! Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been good. Nice to be back home finally and get settled in. Forgot how hot it gets here in the summer... so I've decided to bail to somewhere cooler for a few months out of the year. Will put a dent in my reefing habits for a few years until I decide what I'm doing and where. But for now I can scratch my itch with a vivarium which is far less maintenance and devotion.

Can't wait to see this thing stuffed with corals.

for sure! I’m sure it’s quite a relief! I’d love to see the guy who got me gung-ho for corals with a tank again.

I still have several of the original ones you sent me. A few did become critter food. Dumb file fish, peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs. The biggest loss that still makes me want to cry was the rainbow acan. That’s what made me want to filet the dang file fish. I thought it would come back. It had bits of tissue on it forever. Hoping that with a bigger tank and bigger colonies, I’ll finally be able to keep something that can control aiptasia without destroying my other corals. But still makes me quite hesitant.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank companies should give them. Percentage of all their sales.

#commission
Jennifer Lopez Business GIF by American Idol
You're already ahead of me... my new tank is still sitting in my trailer waiting to come in. In my defense, I have other projects that need to be completed first. Very excited to see how your new tank comes to life.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're already ahead of me... my new tank is still sitting in my trailer waiting to come in. In my defense, I have other projects that need to be completed first. Very excited to see how your new tank comes to life.
Don’t rush it. Mine sat empty in my living room
For about a month until I had time to work on it.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t rush it. Mine sat empty in my living room
For about a month until I had time to work on it.
I can't rush it. I have to finish building the big storage shed out back first (almost done). It's going where the 60g cube is and I need a place to put that tank and the others out in the garage before I can break it down. Also need to give my buddy a bit more time to heal up his sore back before carrying the big box made out of 15mm glass inside.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out wire management. Here’s one idea I liked.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Right now I have apex, but I’m thinking about changing to another control system. Right now I have
  • 2 Dos’s will probably need a third
  • Trident
  • Fmm
  • Ato feeder
  • 2 mp40’s
  • 2 radion xr 30
  • Reactors
  • Skimmer
  • Sump Lights
  • Fuge light
  • Power head for fuge
  • Varios 8
  • Varios 6 for manifold
  • Pentair uv sterilizer
  • Heaters

I think that’s all the things. I’ll likely add a roller mat eventually and a kalk reactor... Not sure if anything else will be added. But that’s plenty of wires and power bricks that needs to be organized.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure! I’m sure it’s quite a relief! I’d love to see the guy who got me gung-ho for corals with a tank again.

I still have several of the original ones you sent me. A few did become critter food. Dumb file fish, peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs. The biggest loss that still makes me want to cry was the rainbow acan. That’s what made me want to filet the dang file fish. I thought it would come back. It had bits of tissue on it forever. Hoping that with a bigger tank and bigger colonies, I’ll finally be able to keep something that can control aiptasia without destroying my other corals. But still makes me quite hesitant.

May not be the preferred method. But my tank has been aiptasia free for over a year now. Most likely due to the lack of water...but it is maintenance free. :p

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be the preferred method. But my tank has been aiptasia free for over a year now. Most likely due to the lack of water...but it is maintenance free. :p
LOL. Wow! That does sound maintenance free. But alas. It’s not the way I’d prefer to be aiptasia free. I’m hoping to just keep it out of the new tank, but doubt that’s sustainable in the long run.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Right now I have apex, but I’m thinking about changing to another control system. Right now I have:"

Leaving the APEX world is like moving to Mars for me in some ways. While I believe the hardware is, um, well, lets say, um, less than ideal, the software for MOST reefers kinda works good. If I can figure out the coding language then most folks are good. Each time I have another hurdle to account for, even I can solve for it via the Neptune community pages.

In one place I control the DOS, part of my calcium reactor, all of my KALK stirrer, carbon reactor, cooling fans, heater controllers, return pumps, automatic feeders and more that I cannot remember. It is a pretty well designed ecosystem despite the shortcuts on the hardware side IMO.

I have admired GHL hardware over time but have missed the ardent supporters on the software interface side of the proposition. Over time my opinions have changed though - so happy to learn something different.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Right now I have apex, but I’m thinking about changing to another control system. Right now I have:"

Leaving the APEX world is like moving to Mars for me in some ways. While I believe the hardware is, um, well, lets say, um, less than ideal, the software for MOST reefers kinda works good. If I can figure out the coding language then most folks are good. Each time I have another hurdle to account for, even I can solve for it via the Neptune community pages.

In one place I control the DOS, part of my calcium reactor, all of my KALK stirrer, carbon reactor, cooling fans, heater controllers, return pumps, automatic feeders and more that I cannot remember. It is a pretty well designed ecosystem despite the shortcuts on the hardware side IMO.

I have admired GHL hardware over time but have missed the ardent supporters on the software interface side of the proposition. Over time my opinions have changed though - so happy to learn something different.

i just keep having equipment fail on me. Both Dos’s have had issues, my auto feeder is not working at the moment. Never could get my wms (or whatever it’s called for the eco tech stuff) to work. I’m waiting to see if they’re going to replace my 2 month old pmup. Never had issues with my tunze. I can’t find the receipt, so I have to call the store tomorrow to see if they have a copy. I would like to add a few flow meters and maybe just change to a solenoid that goes directly from my water change station to the tank (through the crawl space). Rap Orlando is going to have all the controller systems I’m considering. So I’m hoping to get a good feel for everything and make a decision after that.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just keep having equipment fail on me. Both Dos’s have had issues, my auto feeder is not working at the moment. Never could get my wms (or whatever it’s called for the eco tech stuff) to work. I’m waiting to see if they’re going to replace my 2 month old pmup. Never had issues with my tunze. I can’t find the receipt, so I have to call the store tomorrow to see if they have a copy. I would like to add a few flow meters and maybe just change to a solenoid that goes directly from my water change station to the tank (through the crawl space). Rap Orlando is going to have all the controller systems I’m considering. So I’m hoping to get a good feel for everything and make a decision after that.
What else are you considering? After lots of reading reviews I'm leaning GHL myself because I'd rather it work forever than be blingy

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m trying to figure out wire management. Here’s one idea I liked.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Right now I have apex, but I’m thinking about changing to another control system. Right now I have
  • 2 Dos’s will probably need a third
  • Trident
  • Fmm
  • Ato feeder
  • 2 mp40’s
  • 2 radion xr 30
  • Reactors
  • Skimmer
  • Sump Lights
  • Fuge light
  • Power head for fuge
  • Varios 8
  • Varios 6 for manifold
  • Pentair uv sterilizer
  • Heaters

I think that’s all the things. I’ll likely add a roller mat eventually and a kalk reactor... Not sure if anything else will be added. But that’s plenty of wires and power bricks that needs to be organized.

I like using wire duct for cable management.

Screenshot_20210504-214442.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back