Bleighs Red Sea 650 Peninsula... yet another tank in my house

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe should ask the Photography Form. Just saying. ;)
So I’ve had this camera (Nikon D3200) for ages. And I’ve never really played with it. I REALLY want to get better at coral photography. Would it be worth my time to learn how to use this and buy lenses for corals or would I be better off updating to a newer camera?

AB2E49B0-303B-41A9-A5A7-874D34A0FC2C.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a kalkwasser stirrer. I’m considering an ice cap magnetic stirrer and an avast marine stirrer. Any opinions on those two? Or any other brands I should look at? I may make a post specifically for this because I can’t find one... maybe I don’t know the correct search terms.
As Reef Octopus makes my favorite skimmers by far, I went with them for the Kalk stirrer. I got the big 250. Careful, it is really big. Hooked to APEX DOS I must admit I am refining things a few days in. The small issues have only to do with my plumbing and those darn things like gravity and surface tension.

Tip: from the top of the stirrer where the output is, make a beeline to the sump. A good rollercoaster (with loops) has its place but not in this application. Same applies from pump head into stirrer. Straight in.

See you @ NY/NJ Reefapalooza!

Last edited:

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good, congratulations. Did you decide on a controller. The GHL guys were at RAP, but I did not see the Hydros guys there.
They had to be there to show off the new $800 auto-doser! (That being said... I really like it!)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this camera (Nikon D3200) for ages. And I’ve never really played with it. I REALLY want to get better at coral photography. Would it be worth my time to learn how to use this and buy lenses for corals or would I be better off updating to a newer camera?

AB2E49B0-303B-41A9-A5A7-874D34A0FC2C.jpeg

Learn how to use that and pick a lens to add, you can upgrade the camera body later.
If you learn the camera in manual mode you will get better pics. :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good, congratulations. Did you decide on a controller. The GHL guys were at RAP, but I did not see the Hydros guys there.
Well I already have neptune and everything that goes with it. So I’m making a decision to switch over or not. I REALLY like how compact and simple/elegant all the ghl equipment is. Though those seachem dosers were even a smaller form factor. I have limited space, so reliability and size are my two priorities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe should ask the Photography Form. Just saying. ;)
I’ve been scrolling through it a bit. I think keeping the camera and figuring it out is the best choice.

Learn how to use that and pick a lens to add, you can upgrade the camera body later.
If you learn the camera in manual mode you will get better pics. :)

that’s essentially where I landed with my own research. Thanks for validating that decision. I contacted a few friends who I know take really nice coral pictures. I asked my lfs if I could practice some (and for free) and if they’d like to use the pics on their website, I’m totally down. Figured no better way to learn than by photographing 500 corals. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Reef Octopus makes my favorite skimmers by far, I went with them for the Kalk stirrer. I got the big 250. Careful, it is really big. Hooked to APEX DOS I must admit I am refining things a few days in. The small issues have only to do with my plumbing and those darn things like gravity and surface tension.

Tip: from the top of the stirrer where the output is, make a beeline to the sump. A good rollercoaster (with loops) has its place but not in this application. Same applies from pump head into stirrer. Straight in.

See you @ NY/NJ Reefapalooza!

I hadn’t even looked at them. Definitely going to look those up.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
worked for me.. :) NICE corals there..:cool:
instabook..??;Oldman;Hilarious;Hilarious

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having such issues with the e-Marco 400 mortar. It is not setting like it has in the past. It’s drying to a dirt consistency and just not hardening. I’m wondering if I have a bad Bucket. It’s super frustrating!

Not just you, I had the same issue with the last batch I got, it seemed much darker, it did eventually set but took over 24 hours to feel comfortable to handle, i've bought home made emarco from a local and it was set within 15 minutes, and ready to move within a few hours.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back