OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just you, I had the same issue with the last batch I got, it seemed much darker, it did eventually set but took over 24 hours to feel comfortable to handle, i've bought home made emarco from a local and it was set within 15 minutes, and ready to move within a few hours.
Yeah. It eventually hardened, but took WAY longer.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is sooo clear.

Attachments

• C9450858-4336-4307-B9B6-308B9E377013.jpeg
    C9450858-4336-4307-B9B6-308B9E377013.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning up the wires under the tank. For the sump done. I’m going to make a custom control board that fits better under the tank. Still got to get the wires behind the control. Oars cleaned up. Don’t judge. It was late last night and I had to go to bed.

B14158F1-41D7-43C8-8DE5-3C72ED157DD9.jpeg
5B644008-EC1D-4CD6-8484-E7A707EAA240.jpeg
FC61D096-C67A-44CC-BA0F-DC33F2EDD87B.jpeg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cleaning up the wires under the tank. For the sump done. I’m going to make a custom control board that fits better under the tank. Still got to get the wires behind the control. Oars cleaned up. Don’t judge. It was late last night and I had to go to bed.

Hey just an FYI that you can select to post your images as full images instead of attachments. :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a ten stack power bar, vertical 5 each side protected bar, my power went out 2 days ago for about 40 minutes, didn't trip on power loss so everything switched back on again once power was restored, when I do the upgrade there will be two separate circuits dedicated to the main tank. :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Bleigh! :cool:
Thanks! It’s getting there! Got a ton of coralline popping up.

I’ve had a friend i haven’t seen since high school (decade+) in town this week, so trying to force myself to take a vacation. 2 work meetings but that’s it. I haven’t done much work on the tank and it’s killing me. ;Hilarious o_O

blackbeltmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Bayer for years. It is super easy on corals no question, but I did switch away for these reasons:
a) it is simply a hazard and very tedious to work with. Multiple rinses and all that hassle
b) Very difficult to see what if anything is coming off in the dip. Clear glass bottom is best bet, but tedious.
c) It stuns stuff OK, but aefw will crawl around happily for hour and hours in the stuff.

Melafix and CoralRx are effective, but a bit harsh on some acros and millis.

For now, I have settled happily on potassium chloride @ 3gm / liter. 10 minutes and everything is dead, dead, dead except the corals of course. Mixes clear. Not dangerous. $18 a kilo food grade. This is an increasingly popular dip that is very gentle on SPS.

I have been hesitant and afraid to use Bayer for all these reasons but especially reason “A”. I have know numerous people to use Bayer and even after multiple rinses, they still ended up killing invertebrates because the Bayer still managed to leach into the tank.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hesitant and afraid to use Bayer for all these reasons but especially reason “A”. I have know numerous people to use Bayer and even after multiple rinses, they still ended up killing invertebrates because the Bayer still managed to leach into the tank.
I used it once so far. @lostinreef was here and we were all gloved up and all the safety precautions. It seemed to be fine. It does make me nervous. I need to look more at the potassium chloride that @ScottB suggested, but I haven’t bought any corals since then.

blackbeltmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it once so far. @lostinreef was here and we were all gloved up and all the safety precautions. It seemed to be fine. It does make me nervous. I need to look more at the potassium chloride that @ScottB suggested, but I haven’t bought any corals since then.
I live my ornamental shrimp and crabs too much to risk the Bayer. I may need to look into Potassium Chloride too. I have others mention it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should caveat my enthusiasm for KCl by saying it is ideal for acropora dipping for sure. There is very strong consensus on this from the stick-keeper community here.

I don't have personal experience with -- nor have I read of the experience of others -- about how suitable KCl is for LPS or softies. So I cannot speak to the coral safety or efficacy against that different set of pests.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should caveat my enthusiasm for KCl by saying it is ideal for acropora dipping for sure. There is very strong consensus on this from the stick-keeper community here.

I don't have personal experience with -- nor have I read of the experience of others -- about how suitable KCl is for LPS or softies. So I cannot speak to the coral safety or efficacy against that different set of pests.
@najer you've had direct experience using potassium chloride haven't you?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I doubt I’ll put many more acros in this tank. Unless I see something I don’t think I’ll be able to find when I start my sps tank in a few years. Honestly, I dip very few things. I do scrub with a Tooth brush. I got monti eating nudis a few months back and ended up losing all the montis to the dips/scrub/qt. I think I could have managed them with a few wrasses. But I freaked out. I also very aware that the risk of pests can never be truly eliminated cause their eggs are nearly impossible to kill. I’ll do my best and if/when I have an issue, I’ll just have to take it in stride. I think that Knowing it’s always a possibility helps temper the reaction.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt I’ll put many more acros in this tank. Unless I see something I don’t think I’ll be able to find when I start my sps tank in a few years. Honestly, I dip very few things. I do scrub with a Tooth brush. I got monti eating nudis a few months back and ended up losing all the montis to the dips/scrub/qt. I think I could have managed them with a few wrasses. But I freaked out. I also very aware that the risk of pests can never be truly eliminated cause their eggs are nearly impossible to kill. I’ll do my best and if/when I have an issue, I’ll just have to take it in stride. I think that Knowing it’s always a possibility helps temper the reaction.
I've been through every pest in the book by now so nothing freaks me out anymore. To date, they've all been in my frag system (except for aiptasia) so they are easier to arrest in the frag setting. So when I find a re-infestation I just groan and get on with the weekly dips.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are going to the New York RAP too? I'll be there Saturday for the 2nd session.
Yep! I’ll be helping John at the clam mania booth.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved your WWC Superstore photos, by the way. I assume you met Casper?
Yes!!! What a beautiful fish!! Wish I lived closer. I’d be there this weekend for the blue light event.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I’ve been toying around with turning my sump into a clam refugium. Curious as to whether I should keep my skimmer if I do this. Or maybe just down size my skimmer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back