Blending macroalgae: How do you choose the types of macroalgae to put together?

How do you choose the types of macroalgae to put together?

• Plant types/species

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Common light requirements

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Colors

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Shapes

• Overall appearance

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Price

• Availability

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Whatever ended up in the tank

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ok, so you’ve decided to start a macroalgae aquarium (or transition your existing tank), so now what? The selection of macroalgae can be based on shapes, colors, species, or common light requirements. For others it is based on what looks right or what is available. How do you choose the types of macroalgae to put together?

Pro Tip: When considering the visual display of macroalgae, find inspirations from photography and general art techniques (e.g., rule of thirds, color contrast, white space, etc.) as well as freshwater planted tanks. Also, don’t be afraid to prune when and where appropriate.

subnautica_macroalgae.jpeg

Photo by @Subnautica

If you are looking for inspiration for your macroalgae tank, then check out @Tigaboy’s macroalgae paradise and @InlandReef’s amazing coastal lagoon! Additionally, if you have questions you may want to head to the macroalgae section of R2R. Good luck on your macroalgae journey!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ok, so you’ve decided to start a macroalgae aquarium (or transition your existing tank), so now what? The selection of macroalgae can be based on shapes, colors, species, or common light requirements. For others it is based on what looks right or what is available. How do you choose the types of macroalgae to put together?

Pro Tip: When considering the visual display of macroalgae, find inspirations from photography and general art techniques (e.g., rule of thirds, color contrast, white space, etc.) as well as freshwater planted tanks. Also, don’t be afraid to prune when and where appropriate.

subnautica_macroalgae.jpeg

Photo by @Subnautica

If you are looking for inspiration for your macroalgae tank, then check out @Tigaboy’s macroalgae paradise and @InlandReef’s amazing coastal lagoon! Additionally, if you have questions you may want to head to the macroalgae section of R2R. Good luck on your macroalgae journey!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner2.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I did it once and the competition was outdone by weed coral

dropoff2.jpg
drop off1.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ticked off every box. Macros are so versatile and can make your tank very interesting. Some of the harder ines I've tried without success--blue hypnea, being one. Ofo has been tough because the cuc break it apart and it goes flying everywhere. Never had luck with mermaids fans, and pencil caps/bottle brushes were overcome by Valonia. I've not tried Sargassum due to light requirements. Would love to try some Padina scroll macro, though!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back