Blenny and Royal Gramma sick

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma and blenny were completely fine yesterday. Today, my blenny has a yellow fins but other than that looks fine, hasn't eaten, and is very weak and lethargic, and my royal gramma is acting normal (eating, swimming, playing with clownfish) but looks fuzzy, has inflamed gills, a ragged tail, slightly bulging eyes, and slightly faded colors. My very young clownfish is fine. PH is 8.0, tested it myself with a dropper. Temp is perfect, but the house is 78 so I switched off the heater. All water params are fine, had my local fish store test it with droppers. Some brown algae has grown on the back of the tank. I will do a water change soon. I can't get photos unless you really need them because the gramma is skittish and the blenny is sitting in a rock (he's breathing at the moment). All help is appreciated.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow-ish coloration, faded colors, fuzzy appearance can be symptoms of velvet. The ragged tails symptoms of bacterial infection. Pretty common for velvet to contribute to bacterial infection.
Examine the fish at an angle with a small flashlight and the tank lights off. Look for a "dusty sheen' on the skin.

How long have the fish been in the tank, and anything else "wet" been added to the tank recently?

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow-ish coloration, faded colors, fuzzy appearance can be symptoms of velvet. The ragged tails symptoms of bacterial infection. Pretty common for velvet to contribute to bacterial infection.
Examine the fish at an angle with a small flashlight and the tank lights off. Look for a "dusty sheen' on the skin.

How long have the fish been in the tank, and anything else "wet" been added to the tank recently?
It's hard to tell if there is any sheen on the fish because they both immediately hide when the light goes off (they always have). Royal gramma has been in there for 6 weeks, the clownfish for 4, and the blenny for 2. I just did a water change so the water is cloudy, when it settles down I'll try again with the flashlight, as the cloudiness makes everything look dusty.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh and I forgot, last week the plastic heater shell broke and the innards were visible. I took it out immediately. Is it possible they are sick from chemicals released by the heater innards?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and I forgot, last week the plastic heater shell broke and the innards were visible. I took it out immediately. Is it possible they are sick from chemicals released by the heater innards?
Heavy metals poisoning is a possibility. Running a fresh bag of good quality carbon each day for a few days, either in a HOB or a reactor will help, along with water changes, if this is the problem.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy metals poisoning is a possibility. Running a fresh bag of good quality carbon each day for a few days, either in a HOB or a reactor will help, along with water changes, if this is the problem.
I ordered some carbon bags, in the meantime I'll do lots of water changes. If it's velvet, how do I treat it? At this point I assume that every fish is infected if it's velvet so I'll treat them in the main tank (plus my QT is not large enough for every fish, and has no filter). Is it likely that the fish will die from velvet at this point?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Humblefish complete ID, pictures, and treatments for marine velvet.

And a thread about a newer method for treating fish with the Tank Transfer Method + hydrogen peroxide. Lots of water making and you need two tanks, but other than that, all you need is hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's Humblefish complete ID, pictures, and treatments for marine velvet.

And a thread about a newer method for treating fish with the Tank Transfer Method + hydrogen peroxide. Lots of water making and you need two tanks, but other than that, all you need is hydrogen peroxide.

I don't have the time or equipment to do that. Also, new update, the royal gramma has developed white raggedy spots. It's 100% velvet. I'll do everything I can, but I'll have to treat the fish in my main tank. I'll do the freshwater dip, see if I can get my hands on some ruby reef rally, and use the copper treatment.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your description above does not sound like velvet and if it was and you don’t treat him outside within 24 hours he will die. velvet looks like someone through flour at your fish and are likely congregated around the gills where they feed. The dots, while small are rounder in shape and not countable.

the description could be Ick. White spots kinda ovalish in shape and countable, not necessary around the gills but spread around a specific area, or entire fish.

neither can be resolved in your tank unless it’s ick, your tank is fish only, then you could do Hypo

in tank remedies for parasites do not work, but feel free as I’m not sure they harm.

picture?

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the time or equipment to do that. Also, new update, the royal gramma has developed white raggedy spots. It's 100% velvet. I'll do everything I can, but I'll have to treat the fish in my main tank. I'll do the freshwater dip, see if I can get my hands on some ruby reef rally, and use the copper treatment.
Freshwater dips will buy you time. It temporarily removes a tremendous number of the parasites. Do once a day until you can begin treatment. The RRR big time increases survival rates. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that work together to help with the large number of insertions points from the parasites.
Best of luck with your fish. Keep us in the loop.

The time frame works for the blenny being the fish that brought in the parasites. :(

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips will buy you time. It temporarily removes a tremendous number of the parasites. Do once a day until you can begin treatment. The RRR big time increases survival rates. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that work together to help with the large number of insertions points from the parasites.
Best of luck with your fish. Keep us in the loop.

The time frame works for the blenny being the fish that brought in the parasites. :(
The blenny just died. I can't seem to catch either other fish because the gramma is hiding within the rock work and the baby clownfish is so fast and hides within the rock when I try to catch him. When the store opens I'll buy some medication. The royal gramma was in a bottom corner this morning, so he's finished, but I hope I can save the clown with some medication and water changes.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your description above does not sound like velvet and if it was and you don’t treat him outside within 24 hours he will die. velvet looks like someone through flour at your fish and are likely congregated around the gills where they feed. The dots, while small are rounder in shape and not countable.

the description could be Ick. White spots kinda ovalish in shape and countable, not necessary around the gills but spread around a specific area, or entire fish.

neither can be resolved in your tank unless it’s ick, your tank is fish only, then you could do Hypo

in tank remedies for parasites do not work, but feel free as I’m not sure they harm.

picture?
Ok, how long can I do hypo for before it kills my fish? I do think that it is velvet because the dots aren't countable. I can't get a photo because the fish is either hiding or runs when I come near.

I'm going to try out the para remedy just as a preventative measure to kill the free floating parasites so that they don't kill my clownfish.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the two fish and some inverts out of the tank. Much to my surprise, my royal gramma survived the freshwater dip and the move to the QT, and so did the clown. A lot of the parasites on the gramma were removed in the freshwater dip. I am using nox-ich (says it kills velvet, so I'm giving it a try) in the main tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using nox-ich (says it kills velvet
At best it may suppress the parasites a bit. It's just malachite green. Need something a bit stronger to completely eradicate velvet. Copper, CP are most frequently used effectively.

OP
OP
DaFeesh

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best it may suppress the parasites a bit. It's just malachite green. Need something a bit stronger to completely eradicate velvet. Copper, CP are most frequently used effectively.
Ok, I'll get some.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back