Blenny has weird spot on its side is this normal ?

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EAB87175-323B-41A7-B2D0-044E304D043B.jpeg
I’ve had him for about 4 days just noticed this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is it just on the fish’s left side or is it on the right also?
Is it still eating?
An other fish that might have attacked it?
Any anemones or stinging corals in the tank?

Jay

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is it just on the fish’s left side or is it on the right also?
Is it still eating?
An other fish that might have attacked it?
Any anemones or stinging corals in the tank?

Jay
It had it on one side no fish aggression or anything that could sting him. I woke up today and he was dead. He was eating just fine last night. I really wonder if there was anything I could have done to help him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It had it on one side no fish aggression or anything that could sting him. I woke up today and he was dead. He was eating just fine last night. I really wonder if there was anything I could have done to help him.
No, nothing you could have done: a fish that goes from eating fine to death in 24 hours can’t really be saved - most drugs take 3+ days to work.
Damage control: will this transfer to other fish? Tough to say. Three common diagnoses for this would be; an injury, bacterial infection or Uronema.
Jay

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nothing you could have done: a fish that goes from eating fine to death in 24 hours can’t really be saved - most drugs take 3+ days to work.
Damage control: will this transfer to other fish? Tough to say. Three common diagnoses for this would be; an injury, bacterial infection or Uronema.
Jay
I think this was caused by my yellow tang. I didn’t noticed this behavior till I introduced a Fiji foxface two days ago. The tang spent all day trying to cut it. I think this is what happened to my blenny.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this was caused by my yellow tang. I didn’t noticed this behavior till I introduced a Fiji foxface two days ago. The tang spent all day trying to cut it. I think this is what happened to my blenny.
Tangs rarely go after fish that don’t bear at least a passing resemblance (same shape, color, size, etc), I mean it’s possible, stranger things have happened, but it’s unlikely it was the tang. Also, as a general rule, not wise to add more fish when one of the fish you already have isn’t doing well or recent fish deaths.

OP
OP
R

RPGLaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs rarely go after fish that don’t bear at least a passing resemblance (same shape, color, size, etc), I mean it’s possible, stranger things have happened, but it’s unlikely it was the tang. Also, as a general rule, not wise to add more fish when one of the fish you already have isn’t doing well or recent fish deaths.
Thanks I’m fairly new to the hobby 4 months to be exact, but I am trying my hardest to obtain as much knowledge as possible and keep my reef inhabitants happy and healthy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back