Blind Girl Reefing: 90g Uniquarium Rehab Build

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to the forum and excited about starting a "not so new" journey. I've been reefing since the late 90's but this will be my first build since losing most of my vision (not totally blind, but legally blind). It might sound crazy to build a reef that you can barely see, but there's more to reefing than what meets the eye! I miss the smell of an ocean in my living room, light dancing on the walls, and flashes of moving, living color in my life (I can still see light and make out shapes fairly well).

I'm starting with an old 90g acrylic uniquarium that I picked up on Craigslist for next to nothing. She was in pretty bad shape....scratched beyond belief and top cracked badly. I figured we would both go back into reefing together. I spent two weeks wet sanding and buffing her free of scratches. A little acrylic glue did wonders for the top. She's not perfect, but neither am I. We're a good team.

The stand was included, but the canopy was built from scratch. I had no detailed plan for the canopy, so it's a hodge-podge of ideas picked up from the internet. I know canopy's aren't currently in vogue, but I'm an old school kind of gal. It took a few evenings of hard work (and one finishing nail through my finger before I figured out how to use the nail gun competently....ouch!) but I think it turned out great.

I'm a retired school teacher (Chimistry and Biology), and I run a small business on the side. I left teaching after losing my eyesight, so I figured I'd have the time to focus on trying a new reef build. Two of my three children are grown and married (only the 16 year-old still at home) and I have two grandchildren and one expected to arrive any day. My husband isn't into reef building, but loves the look of a tank in the house (I started a 75 gallon cichlid tank about a year ago just to see if I could still manage an aquarium). His passion is motorcycles. Mine is reefing. It works for us.

I call this my "rehab build" because I'm rehabilitating a tank and maybe myself along the way. I've been away from reefing for several years so it's going to be an adventure.

IMG_20190731_080724.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to the forum and excited about starting a "not so new" journey. I've been reefing since the late 90's but this will be my first build since losing most of my vision (not totally blind, but legally blind). It might sound crazy to build a reef that you can barely see, but there's more to reefing than what meets the eye! I miss the smell of an ocean in my living room, light dancing on the walls, and flashes of moving, living color in my life (I can still see light and make out shapes fairly well).

I'm starting with an old 90g acrylic uniquarium that I picked up on Craigslist for next to nothing. She was in pretty bad shape....scratched beyond belief and top cracked badly. I figured we would both go back into reefing together. I spent two weeks wet sanding and buffing her free of scratches. A little acrylic glue did wonders for the top. She's not perfect, but neither am I. We're a good team.

The stand was included, but the canopy was built from scratch. I had no detailed plan for the canopy, so it's a hodge-podge of ideas picked up from the internet. I know canopy's aren't currently in vogue, but I'm an old school kind of gal. It took a few evenings of hard work (and one finishing nail through my finger before I figured out how to use the nail gun competently....ouch!) but I think it turned out great.

I'm a retired school teacher (Chimistry and Biology), and I run a small business on the side. I left teaching after losing my eyesight, so I figured I'd have the time to focus on trying a new reef build. Two of my three children are grown and married (only the 16 year-old still at home) and I have two grandchildren and one expected to arrive any day. My husband isn't into reef building, but loves the look of a tank in the house (I started a 75 gallon cichlid tank about a year ago just to see if I could still manage an aquarium). His passion is motorcycles. Mine is reefing. It works for us.

I call this my "rehab build" because I'm rehabilitating a tank and maybe myself along the way. I've been away from reefing for several years so it's going to be an adventure.

IMG_20190731_080724.jpg

Welcome to REEF2REEF! .....and welcome back to reefing. :)

I can’t wait to see what you have planned.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who examines thousands upon thousands of eyes yearly, I can only imagine not being able to see my tank daily. Your story hits home for me, and I’m glad you’ve found the aspiration for building a tank again, hopefully this inspires many to do well! Cheers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a Nice tank already !!!!

welcome46.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing and for allowing us to be part of the adventure!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! We're glad you're here. Looking forward to seeing your build!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great introduction. A lot of us I think use tanks for some form of therapy/hobby to help. And don’t worry I did the nail gun thing too. Went into my thumb, luckily I guess because it hit the bone and bounced out. So I didn’t end up with a pierced thumb.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great introduction. A lot of us I think use tanks for some form of therapy/hobby to help. And don’t worry I did the nail gun thing too. Went into my thumb, luckily I guess because it hit the bone and bounced out. So I didn’t end up with a pierced thumb.

Lol! With that kind of luck, don’t stand too close to me!!! :oops:

Back