Blitzkragz' 12ft 375g rimless peninsula with rotary drum filter build

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this being a dream build, I would totally pull the trigger on a pair of MOAI's if they turn out to actually work as advertised. I would want to know if it is immune to sand scratching the glass when the bot goes low. With Care Magnet, there is no fear of that, I go fast even at the bottom and no sand scratches.

take a look at the updates/comments. Nothing has been delivered on them and the campaign ended 2 years ago.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it is a "wait and see". But their last update was just 4 days ago. So it appears to still be alive!
That's fair. I'm only really interested in the camera. I've played around with a number of rpi configs (most usable was streaming to youtube), but wouldn't mind a roving camera.

$200 is a bit steep for me though.

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ton to update on, but I get so into the hobby it is hard to take time to document :) I have 65 WWC frags in the tank (which have yet to die, knock on wood). Around 25 fully QT'd fish. I have added an avast ozone reactor, poseidon dryer and ozone maker, BRS jumbo dual CO2 scrubber, and icecap magnetic kalk stirrer.

And I will share this: I finished "salt-water-izing" the rotary drum filter last weekend, started it in service, and just wow. I thought it was going to be too big for my setup, but I really think it is just right. It has been taking out a ton of no-maintenance detritus.
20190804_202707.jpg

20190728_185422.jpg
20190804_201613.jpg

This is not a permanent solution, but I had some drain piping laying around in the backyard :)
20190804_201600.jpg

This is just two days of the output of the RDF I decided to catch to see what it was getting:
20190804_201547.jpg

One caveat is I believe my total freshwater input now is is slightly higher than my evaporation rate. So I am going to need to do one or a combination of the following:

Modify RDF to catch more of the overspray to drain instead of sump.
Raise float switch in RDF to reduce spray cycles.
Reduce kalk dosing.
Increase evap rate.

I am also going to completely redo the sump, more on that later.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WOW

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I put the two on the end vertically, and it is much less obstructive, they kind of almost blend into the black silicone of the corners. But I am going to have to agree with you, I hate it too. I am not afraid to drill the tank. But coming up with a solution that would give equivalent flow to the gyres would take some serious planning.
Have you encountered any performance or noise issues with the 350s vertically aligned? I have a 72x30x30 DT and am considering replacing the XF230s i have with 350s. I’ve read some reviews that indicate the rotors don’t perform well over time in a vertical arrangement.

Any details you can share would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you encountered any performance or noise issues with the 350s vertically aligned? I have a 72x30x30 DT and am considering replacing the XF230s i have with 350s. I’ve read some reviews that indicate the rotors don’t perform well over time in a vertical arrangement.

Any details you can share would be greatly appreciated!
I haven't had any performance or noise issues attributable to the vertical alignment itself.

Two of them started making noise about the same time, one was horizontal and one vertical, and both had the same issue. The little red or green rubber grommet inside started to tear. The gyres come with two spare grommets in the box, and swapping them out was easy and fixed it. But I imagine over time I will need more.

The only other source of noise I noticed on the vertical ones were from little dwarf cerith snails getting in and made a grinding sound. I wouldn't necessarily blame the pumps for that :)

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any performance or noise issues attributable to the vertical alignment itself.

Two of them started making noise about the same time, one was horizontal and one vertical, and both had the same issue. The little red or green rubber grommet inside started to tear. The gyres come with two spare grommets in the box, and swapping them out was easy and fixed it. But I imagine over time I will need more.

The only other source of noise I noticed on the vertical ones were from little dwarf cerith snails getting in and made a grinding sound. I wouldn't necessarily blame the pumps for that :)
That's all great information to have - thank you for sharing!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain or tell me the post # where you explain how the RDF works and what it does?
Please and thank you

Corey

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ton to update on, but I get so into the hobby it is hard to take time to document :) I have 65 WWC frags in the tank (which have yet to die, knock on wood). Around 25 fully QT'd fish. I have added an avast ozone reactor, poseidon dryer and ozone maker, BRS jumbo dual CO2 scrubber, and icecap magnetic kalk stirrer.

And I will share this: I finished "salt-water-izing" the rotary drum filter last weekend, started it in service, and just wow. I thought it was going to be too big for my setup, but I really think it is just right. It has been taking out a ton of no-maintenance detritus.
20190804_202707.jpg

20190728_185422.jpg
20190804_201613.jpg

This is not a permanent solution, but I had some drain piping laying around in the backyard :)
20190804_201600.jpg

This is just two days of the output of the RDF I decided to catch to see what it was getting:
20190804_201547.jpg

One caveat is I believe my total freshwater input now is is slightly higher than my evaporation rate. So I am going to need to do one or a combination of the following:

Modify RDF to catch more of the overspray to drain instead of sump.
Raise float switch in RDF to reduce spray cycles.
Reduce kalk dosing.
Increase evap rate.

I am also going to completely redo the sump, more on that later.
Man Im in love!!! What a great build and love the dimensions! Post some more pics of the tank and fish too please!

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like modifying the RDF would be the best option.

Just curious - how are you dosing kalk? Do you have two lines top off line lines running through the the apex determined by PH, one fresh and one kalk? or is all the top off going via the kalk stirrer?

OP
OP
blitzkragz

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like modifying the RDF would be the best option.

Just curious - how are you dosing kalk? Do you have two lines top off line lines running through the the apex determined by PH, one fresh and one kalk? or is all the top off going via the kalk stirrer?
I agree! I have a clear polycarbonate lid coming this week i am going to use to watch where the overspray happens and take modifying the RDF from there.

I am using the Icecap Magnetic Kalk Reactor along with Neptune DOS to dose 2 gallons of freshwater to it per day.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new and exciting happening with your system?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back