Bloated Anthias

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Borbonius Anthias that has started hiding in the rocks and only coming out to eat. It’s hard to tell but he might be a little positively buoyant - he seems to be putting a lot of effort into swimming when he does come out. His belly coloration is pale and looks a little bloated/lumpy.

I have had the fish for several months, and he is captive bred, so it is not a decompression issue.

Right now the fish is in the reef... leaving it there for the time being since it would be very difficult to remove and I don’t have a solid diagnosis/treatment plan even if I were to remove it. Right now my plan is to feed the tank with some food laced with focus/metroplex/kanaplex. Kind of a shot in the dark but not sure what my other options are. If the fish is constipated maybe the meds will induce some diarrhea, and if there is some other cause of gas bloat going on maybe the meds will knock that back.

Any other ideas?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you describe actually describes a swim bladder infection or ailment.

This can be lansed but it’s not an easy task...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the pea trick first and hope it's just constipation. Can you get a pic of him showing the bulge?

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I fed medicated food for a few weeks and the progression has stopped (although maybe it would have stopped anyway). The fish is not getting worse or better, but is otherwise doing okay. He comes out to eat but then spends the rest of the day perched in the rocks to stay put. Really was figuring that the extra gas would eventually work itself out...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back