Bloated Anthias?

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm not sure what's wrong with my anthias. I came home from running errands and she was at the bottom of the tank breathing pretty rapidly. She looks bloated and her scales are all pushed out, but I'm not sure how to treat her. I haven't noticed any stringy poop, but I did notice she wasn't eating as much as she usually does, seemed fine otherwise, and she was still eating as of yesterday.

I have a QT tank I can setup if necessary, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
20210829_175113.jpg
20210829_175028.jpg
20210829_175054.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some osmotic issues that can cause this, but I’ve never seen them develop overnight.

First - need to rule out osmotic issues from the tank itself - so no rapid drop in salinity, right?

The next two issues are not treatable: liver disease can cause ascites, a build up of fluid in the belly.
This case looks more like the body is flooded with fluids, that means kidney failure. In freshwater fish, this is called dropsy. This isn’t treatable in marine fish that I've ever seen, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
KatesReef13

KatesReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

That's what I was afraid of, it looks just like dropsy from my freshwater days :/
She seemed fine from what I saw yesterday, but I was busy most of the day and didn't look too close. She's the biggest anthias in the tank so she's easy spot from far away, but I'm guessing she wasn't doing good then.

I just checked the salinity and I'm still sitting at 1.026.

Poor thing, she was one of the first fish I got in the tank. :(

Thanks for letting me know.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

That's what I was afraid of, it looks just like dropsy from my freshwater days :/
She seemed fine from what I saw yesterday, but I was busy most of the day and didn't look too close. She's the biggest anthias in the tank so she's easy spot from far away, but I'm guessing she wasn't doing good then.

I just checked the salinity and I'm still sitting at 1.026.

Poor thing, she was one of the first fish I got in the tank. :(

Thanks for letting me know.
One other thought - it could also be egg bound. That shouldn’t cause rapid breathing unless the eggs have gone septic though.
Jay

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some osmotic issues that can cause this, but I’ve never seen them develop overnight.

First - need to rule out osmotic issues from the tank itself - so no rapid drop in salinity, right?

The next two issues are not treatable: liver disease can cause ascites, a build up of fluid in the belly.
This case looks more like the body is flooded with fluids, that means kidney failure. In freshwater fish, this is called dropsy. This isn’t treatable in marine fish that I've ever seen, sorry.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal I'm confident I have this with one my Red Strip Anthias. It looks like one of those fat goldfish and I'm 99% sure it is osmotic in origin. If it is osmotic how can I cure it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I'm confident I have this with one my Red Strip Anthias. It looks like one of those fat goldfish and I'm 99% sure it is osmotic in origin. If it is osmotic how can I cure it?
Each case is different, can you post a picture and give background info?

If the scales are sticking out, that is edema (the eyes often bulge as well). If it’s just the belly, then it can be ascites, or even eggs.if the fish bobs when it swims, it could be an air bladder issue.

Jay

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each case is different, can you post a picture and give background info?

If the scales are sticking out, that is edema (the eyes often bulge as well). If it’s just the belly, then it can be ascites, or even eggs.if the fish bobs when it swims, it could be an air bladder issue.

Jay
I'm trying to get a useful picture. The scales are not bulging nor are the eye. She is hanging out at the bottom of the aquarium.

I have three Red Stripe Anthias. They are from 100 to 300 feet of water. I've had them for four weeks. In the last week, she has started to become bloated and it is growing daily. She hasn't eaten in three weeks. She was very active and now swims oddly and breathes heavily.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a useful picture. The scales are not bulging nor are the eye. She is hanging out at the bottom of the aquarium.

I have three Red Stripe Anthias. They are from 100 to 300 feet of water. I've had them for four weeks. In the last week, she has started to become bloated and it is growing daily. She hasn't eaten in three weeks. She was very active and now swims oddly and breathes heavily.

The fish doesn’t look positively buoyant, as fish collected in deep water often have issues with- this fish is negatively or neutrally buoyant.
The swelling looks to be ascites, fluid build up, not gas. This is a serious symptom of liver or kidney failure, just like in humans there is no cure….sorry.
Jay

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish doesn’t look positively buoyant, as fish collected in deep water often have issues with- this fish is negatively or neutrally buoyant.
The swelling looks to be ascites, fluid build up, not gas. This is a serious symptom of liver or kidney failure, just like in humans there is no cure….sorry.
Jay
Thank you for the diagnosis. I figured it wasn't going to be a positive outlook but it is better to know.

MoonKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - Reviving this thread as I too am having an issue with my anthias. See pics attached. Very large lump in belly. Front ventral view lump is on the left side of the fish. I was hoping we’d get lucky and fish might live. Moving fish to QT but unsure if we should attempt to treat with anything specific- any advice appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9197.png
    IMG_9197.png
    457 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 40

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - Reviving this thread as I too am having an issue with my anthias. See pics attached. Very large lump in belly. Front ventral view lump is on the left side of the fish. I was hoping we’d get lucky and fish might live. Moving fish to QT but unsure if we should attempt to treat with anything specific- any advice appreciated
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Tough to see, but is the lump on one side? How long have you had the fish?

Jay

MoonKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lump shows on both but is much more pronounced on one side. Have only had the fish 5 wks. Got a pair at the LfS the other seems to be doing fine at this time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lump shows on both but is much more pronounced on one side. Have only had the fish 5 wks. Got a pair at the LfS the other seems to be doing fine at this time

Asymmetrical lumps are less often an contagious disease issue - most of those cause more generalized symptoms.

Sometimes, divers use a needle to aspirate the air bladder of anthias that are collected in deeper water, to vent off the pressure as they reach the surface. In some cases, these punctures become infected.

Can you post a clear video?

Jay

MoonKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go ahead and post an update here in case someone else has this issue down the line. We moved the anthias to QT. I noticed some white trailing feces so we treated with metroplex soaked foods. He did much better in the QT for a while but I think it was really just because he didn’t have to expend so much energy to get around and he wasn’t being fed quite as much as the main tank. Sadly the fish did end up passing away the day before yesterday. The lump on his side was still slightly visible but smaller. If I ever have this issue in the future with an Anthias I would be willing to aspirate the swim bladder. If someone else is having this same issue with their fish in the future it’s probably worth a shot. To aspirate. I added another photo of the lump.

Attachments

• IMG_9389.png
    IMG_9389.png
    872.4 KB · Views: 29

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to go ahead and post an update here in case someone else has this issue down the line. We moved the anthias to QT. I noticed some white trailing feces so we treated with metroplex soaked foods. He did much better in the QT for a while but I think it was really just because he didn’t have to expend so much energy to get around and he wasn’t being fed quite as much as the main tank. Sadly the fish did end up passing away the day before yesterday. The lump on his side was still slightly visible but smaller. If I ever have this issue in the future with an Anthias I would be willing to aspirate the swim bladder. If someone else is having this same issue with their fish in the future it’s probably worth a shot. To aspirate. I added another photo of the lump.

Sorry to hear.

Just for future reference - if the issue was an infection from decompressing the swim bladder after collection, aspirating it again won't work - the root infection needs to be addressed.

Jay

MoonKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Just for future reference - if the issue was an infection from decompressing the swim bladder after collection, aspirating it again won't work - the root infection needs to be addressed.

Jay
With antibiotics?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With antibiotics?

Yes - but this would have been a case where antibiotics in the water wouldn't work, and in the food won't work once a fish stops feeding. That leaves injectable drugs, and that is outside the realm of most home aquarists.

I'm not positive that this was an infection from being "needled" by the collector - that is a process that is used all too often on deep water anthias, but this species is often caught in shallower water, and then doesn't need to be needled.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back