Bloated clownfish

Kris Swank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed that my female clown was extremely bloated and prolapsed. I got her into quarantine after a 5 minute freshwater bath, and ran to the store- all I could find locally was API "general cure" (?!) for parasites. I was assuming Brook. I don't really see any mucous, but maybe I'm missing it? I want to treat for the right thing, and I'm just hoping for some sage wisdom. I've had her for 6 years. It's been well over a year since introducing any new fish. Just got some general CUC from reef cleaners last week. Also, she had been eating predominately pellets and I phased to just reef frenzy a couple of weeks ago. Low PH has been a struggle for a while, and started dosing soda ash slowly this past week. Everyone else seems ok for now, but watching closely! Any thoughts? Please help!
20200223_125915.jpg
20200223_132454.jpg

cheras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope your fish is doing better. So this past saturday I noticed my female clownfish had a bloated stomach. Just the day before I started feeding the Piscine 2mm pellets. These were bigger than the ones I usually feed. Well, the following day is when I noticed my clownfish had a bloated stomach. I also noticed a white string coming out of the abdomen area. I decided to do some research and some users where saying it was a disease. I thought my fish was bloated from the food thinking it ate too much. After a few hours I turned off the flow to do a water change and I noticed the female clownfish laying eggs. I was glad I decided to wait and see what happened. After reading up on the symptoms, some users were saying to remove the fish and treated since it might be sick.

From looking at this photo, the white part in the abdomen area looks different from mine. I do not know if this means it is some type of disease. I really hope your fish makes it.

OP
OP
K

Kris Swank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the clown expell poo?
Thanks for the response! I have not observed any poo. I've been looking for something white and stringy, but no. No change so far. She's not had any visual response to any treatment, but also no worse. The only color variance I can see is from her scales sticking out almost sideways from the pressure. I will try feeding a boiled pea when I get home in case of constipation. I'm also going to pick up some sort of antibiotic, although my options still seem very limited.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I have not observed any poo. I've been looking for something white and stringy, but no. No change so far. She's not had any visual response to any treatment, but also no worse. The only color variance I can see is from her scales sticking out almost sideways from the pressure. I will try feeding a boiled pea when I get home in case of constipation. I'm also going to pick up some sort of antibiotic, although my options still seem very limited.
One of the side effects of kanaplex can be loose stools. That could be a good thing as well.

OP
OP
K

Kris Swank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the side effects of kanaplex can be loose stools. That could be a good thing as well.
I believe this may be her poo. I found 2 of them. For reference, the sample is in one of those little cups a small frag would come in.

20200225_223958.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stringy and white is bad. Sometimes the strings "darken" after dropping off the fish. Need to see a fresh sample. Ideally one still hanging on the fish.

Back