Bloated clownfish

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
One of my clownfish is acting lethargic and not eating. Its stomach appears to be very swollen. I have had it along with another clownfish for the past few months. Added a cleaner shrimp two weeks ago.
tank params
Temp 77
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2

i had a blenny from the lfs die today in qt (day10). Hoping not related but did mix up their food droppers once.
any medications and suggestions very welcome!
Thanks!
Seth
EF27B1F7-F92A-4CC6-9BC7-3B98E5B5575C.jpeg

OP
OP
S

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could reach out…. I was hoping to get some feedback about treatment so I could order or pickup Meds before monday to treat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either constipated in which it cant pass food or dropsy with is a gram positive bacterial infection which can cause hemorrhagic septicemia condition.
For cure and prevention, maintaining optimum diet and water quality always helps. Sometimes all the vitamins, nutritional diet and clean water arent enough. At times a fish's natural immune system needs a helping hand and will requireusing antibiotics is not an easy decision but necessary.
Most effective would be:
  • Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex)
  • Nitrofurazone (Furan-2)
  • Maracyn 2
PraziPro may also help with bloating if associated with internal bacteria or constiation. Incease oxygen whenever treating any fish with medsFoods soaked in focus will also help

OP
OP
S

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the reply. I ordered the kanaplex. Sounds like I should treat in qt as doesnt seem to be safe for inverts. Would you recommend i treat with prazipro or general cure at the same time as the kanaplex?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either constipated in which it cant pass food or dropsy with is a gram positive bacterial infection which can cause hemorrhagic septicemia condition.
For cure and prevention, maintaining optimum diet and water quality always helps. Sometimes all the vitamins, nutritional diet and clean water arent enough. At times a fish's natural immune system needs a helping hand and will requireusing antibiotics is not an easy decision but necessary.
Most effective would be:
  • Maracyn 2
PraziPro may also help with bloating if associated with internal bacteria or constiation. Incease oxygen whenever treating any fish with medsFoods soaked in focus will also help
Most effective would be:
  • Maracyn 2
Thank you so much for the reply. I ordered the kanaplex. Sounds like I should treat in qt as doesnt seem to be safe for inverts. Would you recommend i treat with prazipro or general cure at the same time as the kanaplex?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prazi

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last question i hope…. Should i remove and treat both clownfish in QT or just the one showing symptoms?
thanks for the help!
One with symptoms. If it were brook or parasitical such as ich - Then both

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i dose copper power as well incase it is ich or something else?
Just jumping in late here - I prefer not to mix medications unless there is definite indication that the fish has multiple diseases (not just doing it as a shotgun approach).

Can you post a short video now?

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish looks egg laden to me, but lousy picture

OP
OP
S

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jumping in late here - I prefer not to mix medications unless there is definite indication that the fish has multiple diseases (not just doing it as a shotgun approach).

Can you post a short video now?

Jay

OP
OP
S

smaraghy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried, is there a trick to posting a video? Nm. Think i got it at bottom of this thread

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back