Blobs on red macroalgae

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some red macroalgae from Reef Cleaners and threw it in my DT and then to my sump, just recently noticed these blobs on it, some clear and some opaque. Don’t seem to be hurting the plant and so far haven’t seen them anywhere else. Are these slugs? Flukes? Part of the plant? Fish eggs from my chromis? Good guys or bad guys? Thanks so much for all ideas!

A4A90587-C0D6-4223-877C-BC2DB1CBDD14.jpeg A9D44FA8-5E33-4DD8-AC25-5791ECF9267F.jpeg

OP
OP
Seaspirit

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pineapple sponges look like other pics I’ve seen but the reddish blob thing doesn’t have a shell or any antennae that I can see, doesn’t look like other pics people say are stomatella. Would be great if you’re right!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pineapple sponges look like other pics I’ve seen but the reddish blob thing doesn’t have a shell or any antennae that I can see, doesn’t look like other pics people say are stomatella. Would be great if you’re right!
Agree on pineapples and stomas. What red blob? Can you get a pic of just that?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s this thing. It’s reddish, looks squishy and somewhat translucent, about 7 mm long and not part of the plant as far as I know. Looks like it has attached itself to this branch.

DB4B6304-C706-4DFC-88B9-29A27FA266D4.jpeg
Is it motile? Does it react at all to touch? If it’s as squishy as it looks maybe an egg sac, not sure what else a sessile gelatinous mass could be.

OP
OP
Seaspirit

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good questions. It was not mobile and didn’t react to touch, was same sort of shape as pineapple sponge but different color/texture and bigger. My guess it was another kind of sponge OR egg sac and since Aliens is my favorite movie I don’t risk unknown egg sacs much, so we removed it. . Thanks so much for your input, appreciate you helping me think through the possibilities!

Back