Blonde Naso not really eating…

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I found this beautiful blonde Naso in a LFS that I was told had not eaten the whole 8 days he was there. My guess what that the prazi or copper he was in at the LFS was the cause. So I went back two days later to see if he had eaten yet, I watched him eat mysis and flakes. Knowing that he probably wasn’t going to last in the fish store I wanted to give him a chance so I took him home and he is currently in a 20G observation tank for a week or two so I can chunk him up a bit before going into the main display.
It is currently day 5 with him, the first 3 days he wasn’t eating mysis or brine, but was eating spurilina flakes and devouring the continuous Nori I was giving him. Yesterday was the first day he refused to eat anything. His belly is pinched (as it was when I got him) he is very active but doesn’t want to eat anything. Ammonia is 0 ppm, no medication in the tank.
I UNDERSTAND A 20G is way way way way to small however he’s only going be in there for a week or 2 tops so I can watch him.
Do you think he is just stressed and not eating because of the small space or?
Thanks

F132AA3E-0734-4195-89E3-8FEE02380D7C.jpeg 80398CB5-716D-400D-8BC0-36657A45C41D.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you certain that the dosages of the praziquantel and copper were correct? i.e. enough to take care of parasites. I would also suggest it could just be stress/fear living in a tank with minimal hiding places. PS - how much did you pay for the tang? Could it have been cyanide caught? Did you match the salinity he was in in the fish store, ETC

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain that the dosages of the praziquantel and copper were correct? i.e. enough to take care of parasites. I would also suggest it could just be stress/fear living in a tank with minimal hiding places. PS - how much did you pay for the tang? Could it have been cyanide caught? Did you match the salinity he was in in the fish store, ETC
I don’t know the dosages that the LFS had them in. Like most local fish stores keep their livestock in copper and prazi. I did not put him into my tank with any copper or prazi nor is he currently in any. I paid $60 for the tang I talked them down because he wasn’t eating.
I did match the salinity and temp it was already the same, floated and dropped.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know the dosages that the LFS had them in. Like most local fish stores keep their livestock in copper and prazi. I did not put him into my tank with any copper or prazi nor is he currently in any. I paid $60 for the tang I talked them down because he wasn’t eating.
I did match the salinity and temp it was already the same, floated and dropped.
The other comment was going to be - could it have been collected with cyanide which can cause this type of wasting.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the possibility of bacterial infection or internal parasite? Maybe I should treat with metroplex and prazi treatment?

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get it eating ASAP!!! Goggle Blackworms and get them. That is the equivalent of crack to a tang. You can get them from Ebay I believe.

@Jay Hemdal
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks
The first 3bdays was eating seaweed and flakes like a champ, yesterday ignored the seaweed and ate very very few flakes, and today doesn’t want to do with any food.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You try nori, seaweed extreme small pellets or live red ogo? Also try black worms. Outlook is not great but keep trying aggressively.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 3bdays was eating seaweed and flakes like a champ, yesterday ignored the seaweed and ate very very few flakes, and today doesn’t want to do with any food.
I have found that anything soaked in Selcon with entice them to eat. If it starts to eat again I would feed it frozen soaked in GC, Selcon, and Focus as it may have internal parasites. Naso's are finicky eaters.

Find and buy some live Bloodworms from Ebay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that anything soaked in Selcon with entice them to eat. If it starts to eat again I would feed it frozen soaked in GC, Selcon, and Focus as it may have internal parasites. Naso's are finicky eaters.

Find and buy some live Bloodworms from Ebay.
I’m going to try the selcon in a few. What about metroplex with focus?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try the selcon in a few. What about metroplex with focus?
Lets get it eating first, but I think that would be fine. I like GC just because it covers a wider range of ailments, but I also bought several packages when I learned that it was discontinued, UGH!!!

I use a small container and soak the frozen in selcon and water for a while. I want the food to absorb the selcon. I put it in the fridge to preserve it.

@Jay Hemdal
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks

Any ideas on what else can be done.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets get it eating first, but I think that would be fine. I like GC just because it covers a wider range of ailments, but I also bought several packages when I learned that it was discontinued, UGH!!!

I use a small container and soak the frozen in selcon and water for a while. I want the food to absorb the selcon.
Haha. Yes need to get this eating trying my hardest. I knew it was gonna die in the fish store if I left it there and knew I could give it a fighting chance!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Yes need to get this eating trying my hardest. I knew it was gonna die in the fish store if I left it there and knew I could give it a fighting chance!
Respect!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My concern is that it WAS eating in your tank and now it’s not. That implies to me that little to none of its previous history is in play now - something has changed to cause the fish to stop feeding. You ruled out high ammonia. Is the fish breathing fast or labored?

I suppose the fish could have developed stress over the 4 days or so from being in a small tank, but really, I’ve seen nasos feeding in those tiny 12” cubicles in wholesalers systems...

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My concern is that it WAS eating in your tank and now it’s not. That implies to me that little to none of its previous history is in play now - something has changed to cause the fish to stop feeding. You ruled out high ammonia. Is the fish breathing fast or labored?

I suppose the fish could have developed stress over the 4 days or so from being in a small tank, but really, I’ve seen nasos feeding in those tiny 12” cubicles in wholesalers systems...
Thank you for responding Jay! It was eating seaweed and flakes the first few days. Eating Seaweed a lot actually I was giving it to him continuously. Although he wasn’t eating frozen, or pellets that I tried.
The fish has no labored or fast breathing he’s pretty active to be honest however you can see his pinched belly he has too.
I feel bad because I'm thinking he is possibly stressed and would like to test him out into the main displays he he will be less stressed in there. But I want to make sure he doesn’t have any possible bacteria infection or parasite that may be causing him not to eat.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back