Blonde Naso Tang dead

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up this morning to find my blonde Naso tang dead. I purchased it back in august and it went through an extensive quarantine process to insure no transfer of parasite/ disease to the display tank (copper power, prazi, metro). I attached a picture below. Any ideas as to what could’ve caused the death?

39199FC4-6A2A-4805-9D5C-E586F48FBF16.jpeg

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blonde naso are hard to care for. I've had my share of it that it came in really healthy and thrived for couple of months and all of a sudden die. Stress I would say would be a big factor since they are peaceful calm and timid creatures and they get stressed so easily. Well that was the case in my tank..
Any chance someone was stressing it specially during feeding time?

OP
OP
D

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a baby hippo in observation with the naso. I’ve never seen them fight but who knows.

Blonde naso are hard to care for. I've had my share of it that it came in really healthy and thrived for couple of months and all of a sudden die. Stress I would say would be a big factor since they are peaceful calm and timid creatures and they get stressed so easily. Well that was the case in my tank..
Any chance someone was stressing it specially during feeding time?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like above, I know others have had success, but unfortunately for some reason I have failed twice with them over my 12yrs. After I read more and more and encountered many other stories, I’ve pretty much moved that fish to my “non compatibility/expert” side of my list...unfortunately because they are BEAUTIFUL!

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the few fish I've never been able to keep. This and a powder blue.......and the powder blue is one of my favorite fish

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add as well that I have had a difficult time with Naso tangs. I have a purple Tang that will have been in my tank for 15 years in January, but I have had a few Naso’s die on me. I don’t know why they are difficult to keep, but they are. None of mine have lasted more than a couple months.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
& I have had the opposite experience. 1st one in with 5 purples a Chevron & hippo.
2nd one not blonde but in with a powder blue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too late now, but I often give freshly dead fish a FW dip, just to check to ensure they didn't have flukes. An even better option is to do a skin scrape, but you need a microscope to evaluate that.

That looks like a pretty small tang. The discoloration on the belly is probably just a post-mortem artifact, but is there same damage to the trailing edge of the caudal fin?

Jay

OP
OP
D

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I’d feed it three times a day a mix of hikari seaweed extreme pellets and lfs reef frenzy. Would eat like a pig. Around 3 weeks ago he went on a hunger strike for two days then started eating again.

was the fish eating well?

OP
OP
D

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it was flukes since I treated it with prazi. I would consider investing in a microscope to observe and inspect skin scrapings of fish. Any suggestions on a good microscope?

Probably too late now, but I often give freshly dead fish a FW dip, just to check to ensure they didn't have flukes. An even better option is to do a skin scrape, but you need a microscope to evaluate that.

That looks like a pretty small tang. The discoloration on the belly is probably just a post-mortem artifact, but is there same damage to the trailing edge of the caudal fin?

Jay

OP
OP
D

DavidJTawil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup it was about 2.5 - 3 inches. It did seem to have the same discolouration on the caudal fin. It appeared post-mortem and wasn’t there prior. I found the corpse on small power head so that could’ve been the cause of the discolouration.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it was flukes since I treated it with prazi. I would consider investing in a microscope to observe and inspect skin scrapings of fish. Any suggestions on a good microscope?
Amscope binocular dissecting scopes run about $140. I bought a microscope for my iPhone for $17 though.
Jay

acrosps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to within the past year eating fine doing excellent then one morning dying. I can’t figure out such a beautiful fish.

Back