Dlefty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 177g tank with Purple Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Hippo Tang, Copper Banded Butterfly, Bella Angel, Bangai Cardinal, Niger Trigger, Pecula Clown, 2 Green Chromis, & Blonde Naso Tang. The tank was set up in 2016. I did a 40g water change on the Sep 12th. Today I notice that the Blonde Naso was not eating flake food at lunch. I looked at him closely and he had a white spot on his belly. He also appeared thin. This was news to me as he was always out at feeding times. At dinner time I feed the fish some frozen mysis, frozen spiralina brine, & frozen krill. I dosed some Selecon too. This time he was on the sand bed in back of the tank. What disease do you think he has? I have had him from the beginning. Is it possible that I had a red tailed trigger die on me last year who went blind had something to do with it? I replaced him with a blue throated trigger who did not make it 5 months (died in May). Anyway the blonde naso probably won't make it but I would like to know if its velvet or some other disease. All the other fish seem ok. TIA

Temp 79 (with in a degree)
As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg

Cyber Monday

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
I have a 177g tank with Purple Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Hippo Tang, Copper Banded Butterfly, Bella Angel, Bangai Cardinal, Niger Trigger, Pecula Clown, 2 Green Chromis, & Blonde Naso Tang. The tank was set up in 2016. I did a 40g water change on the Sep 12th. Today I notice that the Blonde Naso was not eating flake food at lunch. I looked at him closely and he had a white spot on his belly. He also appeared thin. This was news to me as he was always out at feeding times. At dinner time I feed the fish some frozen mysis, frozen spiralina brine, & frozen krill. I dosed some Selecon too. This time he was on the sand bed in back of the tank. What disease do you think he has? I have had him from the beginning. Is it possible that I had a red tailed trigger die on me last year who went blind had something to do with it? I replaced him with a blue throated trigger who did not make it 5 months (died in May). Anyway the blonde naso probably won't make it but I would like to know if its velvet or some other disease. All the other fish seem ok. TIA

As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg
This is so sad. Mark on belly suggests bacterial not to mention fish is quite thin and I can assume has shut down with eating and is lethargic breathing heavily.
Did this eat readily and what foods were you feeding ?
Young nasos over the last tear or so have been comin in thin or not eating - just pecking at rocks and glass.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg
Agree the naso is thin. How long have you had it? Any rapid breathing?

Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
Dlefty

Dlefty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes his breathing was rapid as of today. As of yesterday he was always out with the rest of the fish when eating. I would always have to wave my hand after he would go up to the glass once the feeding slowed down. I would try and direct him to other bits of food. But he knew I had more I would feed them. I think I added him in 2018, maybe before. I would alternate the flake food for the noon feeding, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes & Prime Reef Flakes. For their 6 o'clock feedings I feed them Hikari frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp, Sprilnana Brine, & alternate with Mega Marine Algae & Mega Marine. On occasion I feed Hikari frozen Krill.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes his breathing was rapid as of today. As of yesterday he was always out with the rest of the fish when eating. I would always have to wave my hand after he would go up to the glass once the feeding slowed down. I would try and direct him to other bits of food. But he knew I had more I would feed them. I think I added him in 2018, maybe before. I would alternate the flake food for the noon feeding, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes & Prime Reef Flakes. For their 6 o'clock feedings I feed them Hikari frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp, Sprilnana Brine, & alternate with Mega Marine Algae & Mega Marine. On occasion I feed Hikari frozen Krill.
Having it 4+ years tends to rule out parasitic diseases unless you added new fish recently.
There is a chronic bacterial infection, Mycobacterium, that shares some symptoms here (but not so much the rapid breathing). Sorry I don’t have any strong leads for you here.
Jay

Nutramar Foods

Does it matter to you whether your fish are captive-bred or wild caught?

• I only buy captive bred fish.

Votes: 41 13.4%
  • It matters, but I will buy either captive-bred or wild-caught.

Votes: 228 74.8%
  • I think wild-caught fish are the better option.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • I don’t care where the fish were bred.

Votes: 32 10.5%
AF