Blonde Naso Tang has a disease?

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 177g tank with Purple Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Hippo Tang, Copper Banded Butterfly, Bella Angel, Bangai Cardinal, Niger Trigger, Pecula Clown, 2 Green Chromis, & Blonde Naso Tang. The tank was set up in 2016. I did a 40g water change on the Sep 12th. Today I notice that the Blonde Naso was not eating flake food at lunch. I looked at him closely and he had a white spot on his belly. He also appeared thin. This was news to me as he was always out at feeding times. At dinner time I feed the fish some frozen mysis, frozen spiralina brine, & frozen krill. I dosed some Selecon too. This time he was on the sand bed in back of the tank. What disease do you think he has? I have had him from the beginning. Is it possible that I had a red tailed trigger die on me last year who went blind had something to do with it? I replaced him with a blue throated trigger who did not make it 5 months (died in May). Anyway the blonde naso probably won't make it but I would like to know if its velvet or some other disease. All the other fish seem ok. TIA

Temp 79 (with in a degree)
As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 177g tank with Purple Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Hippo Tang, Copper Banded Butterfly, Bella Angel, Bangai Cardinal, Niger Trigger, Pecula Clown, 2 Green Chromis, & Blonde Naso Tang. The tank was set up in 2016. I did a 40g water change on the Sep 12th. Today I notice that the Blonde Naso was not eating flake food at lunch. I looked at him closely and he had a white spot on his belly. He also appeared thin. This was news to me as he was always out at feeding times. At dinner time I feed the fish some frozen mysis, frozen spiralina brine, & frozen krill. I dosed some Selecon too. This time he was on the sand bed in back of the tank. What disease do you think he has? I have had him from the beginning. Is it possible that I had a red tailed trigger die on me last year who went blind had something to do with it? I replaced him with a blue throated trigger who did not make it 5 months (died in May). Anyway the blonde naso probably won't make it but I would like to know if its velvet or some other disease. All the other fish seem ok. TIA

As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg
This is so sad. Mark on belly suggests bacterial not to mention fish is quite thin and I can assume has shut down with eating and is lethargic breathing heavily.
Did this eat readily and what foods were you feeding ?
Young nasos over the last tear or so have been comin in thin or not eating - just pecking at rocks and glass.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As of 9/13:
Alk 9.13
Ca 423
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 3.5
20220919_131141.jpg
20220919_140136.jpg
20220919_183649.jpg
Agree the naso is thin. How long have you had it? Any rapid breathing?

Jay

OP
OP
Dlefty

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes his breathing was rapid as of today. As of yesterday he was always out with the rest of the fish when eating. I would always have to wave my hand after he would go up to the glass once the feeding slowed down. I would try and direct him to other bits of food. But he knew I had more I would feed them. I think I added him in 2018, maybe before. I would alternate the flake food for the noon feeding, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes & Prime Reef Flakes. For their 6 o'clock feedings I feed them Hikari frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp, Sprilnana Brine, & alternate with Mega Marine Algae & Mega Marine. On occasion I feed Hikari frozen Krill.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes his breathing was rapid as of today. As of yesterday he was always out with the rest of the fish when eating. I would always have to wave my hand after he would go up to the glass once the feeding slowed down. I would try and direct him to other bits of food. But he knew I had more I would feed them. I think I added him in 2018, maybe before. I would alternate the flake food for the noon feeding, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes & Prime Reef Flakes. For their 6 o'clock feedings I feed them Hikari frozen cubes of Mysis Shrimp, Sprilnana Brine, & alternate with Mega Marine Algae & Mega Marine. On occasion I feed Hikari frozen Krill.
Having it 4+ years tends to rule out parasitic diseases unless you added new fish recently.
There is a chronic bacterial infection, Mycobacterium, that shares some symptoms here (but not so much the rapid breathing). Sorry I don’t have any strong leads for you here.
Jay

OP
OP
Dlefty

Dlefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blonde Naso didn't make it :disappointed-face:. He died yesterday and I removed him from the tank. I got water making now and will do a water change tomorrow. Just wish I knew what killed him....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back