Blood fire red shrimp glued his two front claws together

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need to catch him and clip carefully between the claw ends to free him or else he can’t feed properly if both his “hands are tied?” I’d use a razor blade and take your best slice. They have to be feeding to grow before they molt. If it’s superglued together it won’t come apart without help.

Just like if you glued your thumb and index together, slide a knife thru the ends. It won’t kill you but you’ll be able to use your hand again. No cut no eat.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not making light of this but I had a Powder Blue Tang years ago who did that and wore superglue lipstick for about a month. I just thanked god his mouth was open when he did it.

OP
OP
MadTownFess

MadTownFess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need to catch him and clip carefully between the claw ends to free him or else he can’t feed properly if both his “hands are tied?” I’d use a razor blade and take your best slice. They have to be feeding to grow before they molt. If it’s superglued together it won’t come apart without help.

Just like if you glued your thumb and index together, slide a knife thru the ends. It won’t kill you but you’ll be able to use your hand again. No cut no eat.
He seems to have gotton one claw free, and seems to be slowly picking at the glue with the free claw. He should be able to eat with 1 claw, if he cant get the glue off the other one? Things seem to be getting better though...so I am hopeful.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good news, even if he can’t free it he can do with one until he molts.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could be fixed outside the tank.

Grab some nail polish remover and a cotton swab. And gently dab the claws till the open and close again. Take another swab with a container of tank water and rinse.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could be fixed outside the tank.

Grab some nail polish remover and a cotton swab. And gently dab the claws till the open and close again. Take another swab with a container of tank water and rinse.

I think doing nothing at this point is way less risky than hitting the poor dude with acetone.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think doing nothing at this point is way less risky than hitting the poor dude with acetone.

Acetone has very low toxicological effect on wildlife. Most issues with land animals being exposure to highly elevated vapors for long periods of time. Its status as Aquatic pollutant has to do with its effect on microbial life and o2 deprivation.

Studies on the effect of pesticides of crabs actually use acetone to remove pesticides from their chitin shells, has a 39% greater collection rate as opposed to water alone.

Has no ill effects on the king crabs. It is part of a 2 step process to dissolve chitin but this is with hydrochloric acid.

But the stress of removing from the water and doing this procedure might be unwarranted so agree is probably safer not to do anything :)

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetone has very low toxicological effect on wildlife. Most issues with land animals being exposure to highly elevated vapors for long periods of time. Its status as Aquatic pollutant has to do with its effect on microbial life and o2 deprivation.

Studies on the effect of pesticides of crabs actually use acetone to remove pesticides from their chitin shells, has a 39% greater collection rate as opposed to water alone.

Has no ill effects on the king crabs. It is part of a 2 step process to dissolve chitin but this is with hydrochloric acid.

But the stress of removing from the water and doing this procedure might be unwarranted so agree is probably safer not to do anything :)

Uhhh i’d listen to this guy lol. Sounds like he knows what he’s talking about :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back