Blue, Black or Other Backgrounds with Black Sand

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided on Hawaiian Black Sand for my 265gal build. Yes I know it is magnetic and precautions need to be taken with magnetic cleaners and to keep it looking good needs regular cleaning and whatnot but I really do like the look over plain white sand.

I've seen it with the classic blue background, and also quite like the look, but am thinking a black background might make everything 'pop' just that little bit more. Anyone here run black sand with black background?

While on the subject, other suggestions/recommendations for background types/colours?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the artificial black sand? It's super clean and is not magnetic at all. I'm using it in my 16g Rock Flower Anemone breeding tank. If you need the brand name, let me know and I look it up for you. I got it at PetCo.

As for background, it's a personal choice as far as I can see. Black sand and dark background make for a pretty dark tank.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while nowhere close to the scale of your tank, i run a 28G Biocube with black sand, and it has a black back wall. I really like it. Ive been running it like that for YEARS. I'll see if i can get a pic later when the lights are on

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's it. I put it in a bucket and ran a strong magnet through it and it collected nothing at all. Then I filled the bucket with water from a garden hose and let it overflow the bucket. That's the way I wash old sand. There was no silt or anything at all that flowed out and the water in the bucket was crystal clear right from the start.

I was impressed!
good to know.... ill keep that in mind if i ever start another black sand tank

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick look tells me it's not as easy to find in Canada as the CaribSea stuff, but definitely a worthwhile look if it's marine safe.

That's about my only concern really, is making the tank too dark. I don't have many corals, nor do I plan to have many, however I know that can change. I'd love to see some pictures of your setup.

I mean, I plan to grow gsp on the back glass, but a panel that size will take years of growth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back