Blue Chromis behavior and emergence of the alpha male

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, wondering if anyone has observed this behavior.

Some background, my tank is a 6’ 210 gal. I have 3 tangs, a 2-bar rabbitfish, flame angel, wrasse, and 2 clowns. I have (had) a total of 6 blue chromis.
I started with 1 Blue chromis as the “test pilot” for the tank. He survived and was fine. I bought out a local reefers stock and ended up with 5 more. They all seemed fine and schooled together for months (I want to say I got them all around February).

About 10 days ago or so, I noticed one chromis hanging out at the far ends of the tank, away from the school. Almost like he was “banished”.
Didn’t see any fighting or chasing, just separated. I feared for the worst, as most fish I’ve seen in the past act like this have died.

I don’t notice him eating after a few days of this, possibly a bite but not like usual food hog behavior like they all usually are. Today after work I see his fins are all bitten off (mostly) and he’s swimming but also kinda getting blown around by the gyres. I see another chromis and even my blue hippo looking like they are going to take a bite or nipping at him. I netted him out and put him in the sump. He’s pretty much toast, just waiting to see if anything improves, highly unlikely.

Now, for the first time ever, I notice one of the chromis (the alpha who was picking on the dying chromis), attacking at the big fish as they are grazing on my nori feeder. These tangs/rabbit fish are like 4-5x his size at least. They don’t really seem phased but do swim off from it occasionally.

Did this chromis change into some alpha leader and now is going to beef with everyone? Normally chromis are pretty docile, maybe chasing other chromis but that’s about it. Has anyone observed this behavior in larger schools of them? Was 6 an odd number for the group?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with a solo chromis being a huge butt to fish 3-4 times his size when the ladder was added to his tank. Eventually they got bodied by the larger fish and cut the crap. Seems like you have one with one heck of an attitude.

OP
OP
BlueZreef

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m hoping the hippo tang puts him in his place but he’s being a wuss right now.

Just odd behavior given it’s been like 7 months of “normal” behavior. No fish have been added since the day they all went in together. Hopefully it blows over, chromis is the low man on my totem pole, but would be darn near impossible to catch him...

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chromis law:
You start with 1 Chromis you end with 1.
Start with 2 end with 1.
Start with 5 end with 1.
Start with 8 end with 1.
Start with 10 end with 1.
Start with 20 end with 1..... and so on....

Chromis are not schooling fish, no Damsel are schooling fish. In the wild they look like they are schooling, but they are hanging on their little piece of territory, in a tank there is not enough water column and rocks for them to set, so it looks like they are schooling but at some point one will settle and kill the rest.....

OP
OP
BlueZreef

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dah crap...I was worried it was something like this. I’ve had them in the past in smaller groups. We’ll see how long they play Survivor for until one is champ lol

Back