Blue Chromis Eye Protrusion

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT has been up and running for about 2 years. Mixed reef with fish. I had 2 Blue Chromis on there for over a year. Suddenly the larger one had the lens of the left eye protrude out. It was not cloudy or look infected in any way, just the clear lens of the eye was extremely large. I did not get a picture. Being extremely cautious I removed the fish from the tank. The smaller Chromis came down with the same issue about 2 weeks later while I was on vacation. I had the sitter remove it. All other fish in the tank are fine--lyrtail anthias, royal gramma, cardinals, clowns, penny coral groucher, powder brown tang, and foxface. Any ideas what it could have been?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT has been up and running for about 2 years. Mixed reef with fish. I had 2 Blue Chromis on there for over a year. Suddenly the larger one had the lens of the left eye protrude out. It was not cloudy or look infected in any way, just the clear lens of the eye was extremely large. I did not get a picture. Being extremely cautious I removed the fish from the tank. The smaller Chromis came down with the same issue about 2 weeks later while I was on vacation. I had the sitter remove it. All other fish in the tank are fine--lyrtail anthias, royal gramma, cardinals, clowns, penny coral groucher, powder brown tang, and foxface. Any ideas what it could have been?
Tough to say without pictures, did you see signs of gas in the fluid of the eye?

Single eye issues are commonly caused by simple trauma. However that would be less commonly seen in two different long term captives fish.

Search online for “Hemdal fish eye health” - that should link you to an article I wrote on fish eye health (I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you).
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back