Blue Emerald Sun Coral!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BSA Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another first for us here at BSA Corals, we recently got our hands on a few colonies of these insane bluish emerald sun coral (Tubastrea sp)! These have been opening at night during feeding and have bright yellow polyps.

We will get more pictures as they open more, but just wanted to share a teaser picture with you guys!

dSU0ME6h.jpg

Post your sun corals if you got some! We'd love to see some different color sun corals!

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent these all dyed? From the other threads, it appears that as soon as you cut one of these colonies to make frags, it becomes clear that they are just orange Tubastrea dyed blue. If there are some actual non-dyed versions out there I'd love to see a cut demonstrating this!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent these all dyed? From the other threads, it appears that as soon as you cut one of these colonies to make frags, it becomes clear that they are just orange Tubastrea dyed blue. If there are some actual non-dyed versions out there I'd love to see a cut demonstrating this!
I read a thread about this too. Are there even true blue tubastrea in the ocean?

OP
OP
BSA Corals

BSA Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Regarding these blue sun coral, I've seen the thread where people insist it's dyed. At this point I'm not so sure myself if its true or not. I have contacted my wholesaler and they told me that these are definitely not dyed (but who know if they really know).

So I've decided to just make frags and keep these for a few months to see how they do.

Here are some pictures from 1-2 nights ago! The frags seem to have no issue opening on our end.

cincrqoh.jpg

YfUPtwXh.jpg

438DORvh.jpg

IAGaPe4h.jpg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cutting frags, is the internal tissue blue or yellow/orange/pink? That's the point of the frag test.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the real question is the new flesh when its healed and the ultimate test is new baby polyps.

OP
OP
BSA Corals

BSA Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cutting frags, is the internal tissue blue or yellow/orange/pink? That's the point of the frag test.

I've only noticed white skeleton on the frag.

You can see some flesh peeled off here and exposing the white skeleton.

ZniXf3Uh.jpg

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one we got a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea it it's dyed or not, but it's extremely healthy. As a diver, I've seen black/blue/green sun corals, so... Here's a picture of it when we first put it in the tank and the other right after feeding (photo taken with iPhone right before lights out, so it's a little bluer).

86C65C68-BD6F-44FC-A2FA-C386053488ED.jpeg

image.jpg

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything new to report on these sun corals? Are they healthy and feeding? Have they kept the colouration? :)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I encourage my sun coral to open up more? I feed it ...but it only opens a little..thoughts?

20200813_194301.jpg

it may just need sometime. I don’t target feed mine at all. Just pour food mixture in tank 3X a day and it opens up fully at the same time in the evening every day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back