Blue Emerald Sun Coral!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics from right now.
0D886113-71B9-4E87-A813-8404EE741292.jpeg
52AA2484-70D8-454E-8A90-50E670D4039E.jpeg

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. Can’t really tell color from the picture. Is the new head just as blue as the existing? Any daylight color pictures?

the new head is blue. I’ll take a pic of it when the lights turn on in the morning. You can see it better when the polyps aren’t extended.

NoFILTR33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I encourage my sun coral to open up more? I feed it ...but it only opens a little..thoughts?

20200813_194301.jpg

Increase the flow. Someone turned me on to putting them in a high flow area about two years ago and it was like magic for them. I put my sun coral's about 6 inches in front of one of my MP40's and the whole colony stays open all day long.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the flow. Someone turned me on to putting them in a high flow area about two years ago and it was like magic for them. I put my sun coral's about 6 inches in front of one of my MP40's and the whole colony stays open all day long.
Thanks! I will give this a try to see if it helps.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious if there was any update on these corals. Did they stay blue, produce new polyps that are blue? Or did they turn out to be dyed? Pictures/Testimonials would be great to hear from those that had them.

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My colony did not come from the OP, but it's either the same or extremely similar. Over a year later, and it has retained its coloration (photo isn't recent though; but it's the best one I have). I've written about my experience with the blue sun coral on my personal blog (mods, feel free to remove the link if external sites aren't allowed). It requires much more frequent feedings (multiple times a day) than the yellow/orange versions (unfortunately I've lost four polyps since this photo was taken due to lapses in my feedings).

https://coraleverafter.org/?p=647

20200820_055245.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

My colony did not come from the OP, but it's either the same or extremely similar. Over a year later, and it has retained its coloration (photo isn't recent though; but it's the best one I have). I've written about my experience with the blue sun coral on my personal blog (mods, feel free to remove the link if external sites aren't allowed). It requires much more frequent feedings (multiple times a day) than the yellow/orange versions (unfortunately I've lost four polyps since this photo was taken due to lapses in my feedings).

https://coraleverafter.org/?p=647

20200820_055245.jpg
Just curious, did your coral ever develop full heads that were the same blue coloration? I read your link but it doesn't talk about new heads and growth of the specimen. Can you share updated pictures?

ReefdUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did your coral ever develop full heads that were the same blue coloration? I read your link but it doesn't talk about new heads and growth of the specimen. Can you share updated pictures?

Yes, it grew babies that were blue as well. I cannot provide updated photos, as it now resides in the Monterey Bay Aquarium (I donated it last year. It is in their amazing NPS tank.)

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is another first for us here at BSA Corals, we recently got our hands on a few colonies of these insane bluish emerald sun coral (Tubastrea sp)! These have been opening at night during feeding and have bright yellow polyps.

We will get more pictures as they open more, but just wanted to share a teaser picture with you guys!

dSU0ME6h.jpg

Post your sun corals if you got some! We'd love to see some different color sun corals!
Are you still growing these? Will you have more available for sale?

Back