Blue Eye Tang - White Spot on Fin

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had this fish about two weeks, he developed a spot on his fin about 4 days ago, is it something to be concerned about? He looks healthy, swims, eats, and poops like a champ and gets a piece of nori soaked in a little selcon daily.
I looked through the disease index here, the only thing that looks close is Lymphocystis. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but could be lympho. I have seen it more on the edge of fins rather than middle. If so, it will go away with good water conditions.

Was the fish QT’d? Copper? TTM? Antibiotics?

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT or treatments. Previously I would freshwater dip new fish with Methylene Blue, but it appears the things have progressed from there.
What is TTM, and what kind of antibiotics are used as a prophylactic treatment?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank transfer method, used to eradicate ich.

There are a number of antibiotics used. I’m regularly use Metroplex, but that can be stepped up with Furan-2 and Kanaplex (known as trifecta). Ruby rally as a dip is common. There is also NFG too which is highly effective.

I would suggest having a look over at humble.fish website; lots of excellent info there.

I am not experienced enough to tell you what that fish has or how to proceed best. I was hoping someone else might jump in.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest and combination of Kanaplex, Metroplex, focus and vitamin C mixed with your frozen food to cover all.

The focus is a binder that binds the kanaplex, Metroplex and vitamin C to the food for the fish in the system to eat.

The vitamin C is for stress and to boost the immune systems of the tank inhabitants.

The Kanaplex and Metroplex are antibiotics. Seacheme produces Focus, Kanaplex, Metroplex.

As far as the vitamin C grind up a 500 mg tablet.

As far as the spots, I am going with Ick because of the stress of moving the fish into a new system. :)

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest and combination of Kanaplex, Metroplex, focus and vitamin C mixed with your frozen food to cover all.

The focus is a binder that binds the kanaplex, Metroplex and vitamin C to the food for the fish in the system to eat.

The vitamin C is for stress and to boost the immune systems of the tank inhabitants.

The Kanaplex and Metroplex are antibiotics. Seacheme produces Focus, Kanaplex, Metroplex.

As far as the vitamin C grind up a 500 mg tablet.

As far as the spots, I am going with Ick because of the stress of moving the fish into a new system. :)
So is that a diagnosis, or a tongue in check response? Because if it is ich and not Lymphocystis, it is a whole different treatment regimen, no?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll weigh in again and say if pressed, I also think it's ich... not lympho.

Is it in your main tank? Whether you want to pull it out and treat... along with all the other fish and run fallow... or not is something you'll need to decide. The infection, whatever it is, doesn't appear to be severe. You may choose to run ich management and with good water & food the fish will likely be fine.

I was a manager, but had a massive (and fatal) outbreak that caused me to rethink my actions. I now QT everything wet. Some fish copper, some TTM, and corals/inverts 45 days @80F in fishless.

There are a lot of discussions about how to run the tank in regards to ich as you have probably discovered. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was fishless for over a year, and neglected. We just started bringing it back, and were going to add more fish, so I think at this point better to pull the fish and QT them (only 2), and leave the tank empty for the 6 weeks at 80 or 76 days.

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the white spot has all but disappeared on the tang, which to me says it is probably ich, so he and the other fish are going into treatment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back