Blue eyed tang, Ctenochaetus Binotatus tail spots diagnosis

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since the beginning this guy has been really shy and skittish. But always and still eats well and grazes. I quarantined for 4 weeks before moving to display, it’s about 3.5” now from 3”. I have a 28g jbj nano, moving to 75 ext nuvo end of summer.

I feed seaweed extreme pellets and nori green, brown, red. For the last week I’ve been adding delving, garlic extreme, and dosing stress guard.

the white spots on its tail seem to be more/less pronounced at times but never go away. May be lighting, and the flashes I do see him. Also lower half of body is paler sometimes, like maybe I’ve seen this 4 times. Sometimes color is beautiful, mostly normal I would say. Does come out and graze, swim in power head for a hot 20 seconds and back to the rocks. I would say I first noticed 3 weeks ago. I am thinking it’s just because it is always hiding, stressed, shy, that it gets scratch’s bacteria on rocks? Fighting something in there? There is an active pistol/watchmen combo engineering my tank.
Also 2 clowns, corals, orchid dotty. No fighting issues I can see. I feed 3x a day. Order in: clowns, tang, watchmen, orchid

parameters are good I test a lot, I am going thru 1st year stuff but I’m on it. Had a salinity dip from skimmer, alk drop from coral, etc taking off. That stuff was in the last 3 weeks. Nitrate between 1 and 5 ppm, pho’s between .05 and .1. See image.

96DF8AAE-EE1D-43C3-A5F8-66969FBFABB6.png

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it's some stress but the fish, maybe ich as newly added fish immune system drops when they stressed. Ich is manageable and feeding it properly will help fight it off. If you can count the spots it's ich, also swimming into the power head shows that there is some signs of parasite on the fish.

Don't stress fish out by trying to move him, feed him well Medicated foods and hel be fine. If it's gets worse and starts to look like velvet, remove immediately and treat in qt.

But for the most part, newly added tangs get ich as their immune system is low for about a month and their slime coat is not thick so ich will attach to it, as the fish gets its immune system back, it should be fine.

OP
OP
T

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. My instincts were to slow play it. Also typo in original post was selcon. I also do run a UV.

What is a well medicated food? I am also adding focus and vitality. I also mix in reef frenzy a few times a week. And BRS pellets. Also have my white worms coming soon.

OP
OP
T

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all other fish, corals, inverts are fat dumb and happy. I haven’t lost much of anything yet. Only some delayed shipment stuff, a lot of that bounced back, snails, hermits, a handful.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. My instincts were to slow play it. Also typo in original post was selcon. I also do run a UV.

What is a well medicated food? I am also adding focus and vitality. I also mix in reef frenzy a few times a week. And BRS pellets. Also have my white worms coming soon.
Those foods are good to help boost immune system.

Medicated foods are any foods that have vitamins and immune boosters in them.

Here in SA we have a frozen food named ich away which has vitamins and medication to help boost fish immune system.

Back