AquaticYeti

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Good Evening!

I noticed a fleshy like growth on my live rock. It's blue in color and looks similar to favia. If you look closely you'll see that it is growing against the curves of the live rock with no gaps. The second picture has my thumb so you can see its size.

Any feedback is appreciated!

1663974405340.png

1663974645574.png

1663974436513.png

1663974456061.png

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Some sort of blue sponge, very pretty. Do keep it underwater; sponges are prone to die, otherwise.
Agreed - it seems to be a very nicely colored sponge.

With regards to sponges dying when exposed to air, my understanding is that they essentially get air trapped inside their structure and slowly desiccate and/or starve from not being able to continuously filter the water in and out of their body. I wonder if this condition could be treated successfully using methods similar to how one "burps" a clam or a nautilus (i.e. I'm curious if slowly rotating it 360 degrees underwater multiple times would help relieve the problem/release the air from inside the sponge). I suppose with a sponge you would likely need to rotate it 360 degrees in a number of different directions (i.e. top to bottom, side to side, diagonals, etc.) and/or possibly expose it to some flow while "burping" it to help dislodge any bubbles in the spicules, but - in my mind/in theory at least - it seems like it would help.

dcsorrell

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Agreed - it seems to be a very nicely colored sponge.

With regards to sponges dying when exposed to air, my understanding is that they essentially get air trapped inside their structure and slowly desiccate and/or starve from not being able to continuously filter the water in and out of their body. I wonder if this condition could be treated successfully using methods similar to how one "burps" a clam or a nautilus (i.e. I'm curious if slowly rotating it 360 degrees underwater multiple times would help relieve the problem/release the air from inside the sponge). I suppose with a sponge you would likely need to rotate it 360 degrees in a number of different directions (i.e. top to bottom, side to side, diagonals, etc.) and/or possibly expose it to some flow while "burping" it to help dislodge any bubbles in the spicules, but - in my mind/in theory at least - it seems like it would help.
You might be right, but that's a bit over my head. I will say that, in the past, I've purchased live rock and brought it home wrapped in wet newspaper, and the sponges survived anyway. No idea why, given that the general wisdom is that they shouldn't have.

OP
A

AquaticYeti

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you all!

my concern was if it would be something that could create and imbalance in the tank or worse, hurt my livestock.

I only had it out of water for a quick picture. Great information since it is at a depth where it will be out of water for 20% water changes.

World Wide Corals

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sponges are filter feeders and will actually consume silicates, among other things. In general, they pose no risk to other inhabitants. There are sponges that can cause issues, but the one pictured looks like a friendly species to me. It’s a keeper for sure, enjoy the diversity!

How have you used eggcrate in or around your aquarium?

• Aquarium lid

Votes: 86 30.2%
  • Frag rack

Votes: 144 50.5%
  • Skimmer stand

Votes: 84 29.5%
  • Sump Divider

Votes: 59 20.7%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • I have not used eggcrate in or around my aquarium

Votes: 74 26.0%
TCK Corals