blue/green chromis: easy to keep or not?

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a small group of 3-4 blue green chromis for my 75g (to start out with and then add more in the future). half of the research I've done says they are hardy and good for beginners and the other half of the research I've done say they aren't and die off easily. Anybody want to put their experience with these fish below?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off with 12 a long time ago (maybe 1.5+ years now). Currently have 4 left. Love the schooling effect they provide the DT, but would I get more after these are gone....probably not. I still enjoy watching them though. :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started off with 12 a long time ago (maybe 1.5+ years now). Currently have 4 left. Love the schooling effect they provide the DT, but would I get more after these are gone....probably not. I still enjoy watching them though. :)
Same here, except it was 8 and now I’m down to 2. They look great schooling @ the LFS, but I think over time they probably isolate and kill the others off.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From experience of years of working in a lfs I think blue, blue/green chromis handle shipping the worst. I have keep groups alive for in a few reefs, but always have a percentage die .
mall to often they are already on the way out before you get them.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a small group of 3-4 blue green chromis for my 75g (to start out with and then add more in the future). half of the research I've done says they are hardy and good for beginners and the other half of the research I've done say they aren't and die off easily. Anybody want to put their experience with these fish below?
Bought 7 small green Chromis online a year ago for a 75 gallon tank. I have 7 bigger Chromis today. I do feed them generously and with a variety of food. I make sure that the runt eats well every day which means the others eat well.

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 7 small green Chromis online a year ago for a 75 gallon tank. I have 7 bigger Chromis today. I do feed them generously and with a variety of food. I make sure that the runt eats well every day which means the others eat well.
they ARE energetic so it makes sense you feed them liberally

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very easy to keep, but, I will always recommend QT'ing them. They are notorious for coming in with Uronema. Once they are thru QT, they are a pleasure to have. What ever amount you want, I would add them all at once, and no more down the road as they will become a terror to new blue/green chromis additions. I have my original 4 that I put in my 120 gal tank 3 years ago, and now have them in my 225 gal tank. They spawn almost every week, I just wish they would actually grow...LOL!!!

This is how I QT my fish.

Back