calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some opinions on an orange shoulder going with a blue hippo. The orange shoulder is 6” and the blue hippo is still a little guy and only 2-2.5”. Wondering how some people would recommend introducing the orange shoulder if it’s even recommended to add him. I have a 55 gal I could put him into by himself if he becomes aggressive but a friend of mine is selling the orange shoulder and I’ve always wanted one.

tank info :

135gal reef tank (72”long)
120lbs live rock
140lbs live sand

Live stock :
1 5in lunar wrasse (almost always peaceful)
1 3.5in blue headed wrasse (peaceful)
2 2.5in clowns (peaceful)
1 2in Dottyback (peaceful)
2 3in firefish (peaceful)
1 2-2.5in blue tang (skittish)
1 4in coral beauty angle (peaceful)

Water is perfect and I do tank maintenance so that’s not really a concern with adding the orange shoulder.
Thanks all! Any other info needed, feel free to ask!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just looking for some opinions on an orange shoulder going with a blue hippo. The orange shoulder is 6” and the blue hippo is still a little guy and only 2-2.5”. Wondering how some people would recommend introducing the orange shoulder if it’s even recommended to add him. I have a 55 gal I could put him into by himself if he becomes aggressive but a friend of mine is selling the orange shoulder and I’ve always wanted one.

tank info :

120lbs live rock
140lbs live sand

Live stock :

Water is perfect and I do tank maintenance so that’s not really a concern with adding the orange shoulder.
My orange is good by nature as well as the many I’ve seen and you should be good to go

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank info :

120lbs live rock
140lbs live sand

Live stock :

I wouldn’t as this is a fish that can get well over 1’ (14” usually), it will easily outgrow your tank unfortunately.
If you have an exit plan, go for it but if you want to keep this tang long term in that tank, avoid it.

OP
OP
C

calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t as this is a fish that can get well over 1’ (14” usually), it will easily outgrow your tank unfortunately.
If you have an exit plan, go for it but if you want to keep this tang long term in that tank, avoid it.
Certainly will upgrade eventually. If he’s a juvenile and 5-6in right now, how long till you’d say I’ll have to upgrade?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly will upgrade eventually. If he’s a juvenile and 5-6in right now, how long till you’d say I’ll have to upgrade?
I’d say about a year or two, these guys can get rather large in short periods of time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s what I’ve gathered from a few other people too. Not many people seem to have issues. Have you ever had him with other tangs?
I have 20 other tangs in with him.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you'll be ok, but I also think the less tangs you have in the tank the more aggression issues you'll have.

I had issues with I just had a Tomini, Yellow and Yellow Bellied Blue.

As I start adding more tangs the aggression was zero.

Think I ended up with:
Tomini, Chevron, Black, Black Hybrid, (3) Yellows, Purple, Achilles, Achilles Hybrid, Gem, Purple

OP
OP
C

calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange shoulder with a yellow , sailfin , blue tang .

is the orange shoulder you’re getting still juv or has it chanced to adult colours ?
Just a tad bit of grey on his head, so he’s transitioning.

what size tank do you have your tangs in?

OP
OP
C

calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you'll be ok, but I also think the less tangs you have in the tank the more aggression issues you'll have.

I had issues with I just had a Tomini, Yellow and Yellow Bellied Blue.

As I start adding more tangs the aggression was zero.

Think I ended up with:
Tomini, Chevron, Black, Black Hybrid, (3) Yellows, Purple, Achilles, Achilles Hybrid, Gem, Purple
So you’d recommend getting a few more tangs? I have an opportunity to get a purple and a Vlamingi naso but I was under the impression that I shouldn’t have 4 tangs in my 135.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’d recommend getting a few more tangs? I have an opportunity to get a purple and a Vlamingi naso but I was under the impression that I shouldn’t have 4 tangs in my 135.

Yeah might be tight, esp. the Vlamingi.

Some species are slow growers, so if you start small you'll probably be fine.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I would not add a vlamingi. They get large pretty fast. I had one that outgrew everything in the tank in a little over a year. I lost that one to velvet. I have a regular naso in my 180g that is starting to look a little cramped but not too bad. I'm hoping to upgrade to an 8ft tank in the future but haven't been able to prying my wallet open that far yet. I've had the naso for 6 years and she's probably close to to 7 inches or more. She is housed with a purple, 2 yellows, a blue hippo and a convict. They all get along fine. I have an orange shoulder growing out in a 40h breeder. I really should start planning that upgrade :thinking-face:

OP
OP
C

calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I would not add a vlamingi. They get large pretty fast. I had one that outgrew everything in the tank in a little over a year. I lost that one to velvet. I have a regular naso in my 180g that is starting to look a little cramped but not too bad. I'm hoping to upgrade to an 8ft tank in the future but haven't been able to prying my wallet open that far yet. I've had the naso for 6 years and she's probably close to to 7 inches or more. She is housed with a purple, 2 yellows, a blue hippo and a convict. They all get along fine. I have an orange shoulder growing out in a 40h breeder. I really should start planning that upgrade :thinking-face:
Oof yeah gotta upgrade. Those guys will certainly appreciate it. What’s your opinion on just

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 4D5E01B4-B9B5-4172-BA7E-4051C233CF6B.jpeg
    4D5E01B4-B9B5-4172-BA7E-4051C233CF6B.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
C

calereef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend just adding him with my small blue hippo being in there? He’s still yellowish but greying towards his head.

Attached is a picture my friend send me, low quality but it gets the point across.

Attachments

• 3B51F054-BDE1-479E-821A-75AB8D46EDB8.png
    3B51F054-BDE1-479E-821A-75AB8D46EDB8.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 35
Back