Blue Hippo from NYAquatic not looking too good

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 how long can fish be in a bag? They shipped yesterday afternoon but ups days delivery by 7pm today. Starting to worry
24-30 hours and also depends on how well packed they were by shipper and temperature control. If you have a upd or Fedex facility within 20 miles, in the future have them hold it at facility and pick up yourself to get it early and keep it off a cold UPS truck.
Other option is to intercept the driver if you have an idea of their stops during the day

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report all 5 species (Naso, Two spot, Lavendar, Chocolate Mimic, Blue throat jaw) all survived shipping. After an hour "fast drip" acclimation i plopped them in with a cup. Within an hour, all were eating (except for that Copperband, still reluctant). I am quite pleased with how fast they acclimated. I knew the signs were good when the tangs very quickly started picking at rock and were active. Even the blue throat, infamous for hiding, was out in an hour, swimming about.

Before the tang police come get me, I'm fully aware the Naso and Hippo will need to be rehomed. I actually thought this through. The Naso is considered having the lowest aggression and it certainly shows with my specimen. It's the smallest fish in the tank (besides the clowns and goby). The Purple, Naso, Two Spot, Hippo are all different genus. This is not foolproof obviously in terms of getting everyone to behave, but it does help. The Lavendar and Chocolate are both Acanthurus, but both came from Salgado and were introduced at the same time. The Hippo and Naso will eventually outgrow my 150, but by then I should have a 250+ setup. The rest of the tangs are well within the tank limits, with plenty of rock for territories.

As far as what I'm observing, the Purple is the biggest and definitely king of the tank. It immediately established pecking order with the rest of the Tangs. The Hippo is kind of a doofus, just floats around. It had a minor standoff with the Lavender. The two Acanthurus actually get along the best. The Naso, being the smallest and true to its reputation, does not bother others and others do not bother it. The social order seems to have stabilized and I will be monitoring the situation closely.

Now for the bad. The Lavender has some marks on it. Could just be bruising, it has one spot which does not quite look like ich but it's hard to tell. I saw it's head twich a little a couple times, but I couldn't tell if it was grabbing food. It's the most active one, but it's not swimming against powerheads, or displaying any sort of external parasite behavior. Salgado claims to quarantine their fish at least a week at 2.0-2.25 Copper power. Of course if it's just a week that's not enough. If it's 9 days, that's JUST enough to knock ich off the fish if they did everything perfectly.

Fortunately, I have a plan. I only have a 40 gallon breeder, even if I wanted to quarantine in that, there's no way all those fish would've fit in that. However, it doesn't need to quarantine fish.

When I setup the tank, most of the rock was dry. I have a few pieces of live rock in there, just laying in the sandbed. I purposely did it this way because I don't like glueing live rock. If any signs of illness come up:
- I will manually remove the live rock and put it in the 40. I will also hand remove all the inverts (snails and hermit crabs), as much as I can. Those will also go into the 40.
- Then I will treat the main display with copper as if that were the true "quarantine" tank. The rocks will go fallow in the 40 for 76 days
- Once the main display has been treated for 30-45 days, I will throw in a bunch of cuprisorb. People claim that cuprisorb doesn't work if the copper leaches in the rock, but I'm confident enough time running it will get it to a low enough level.
- Once treatment is done, and 40g fallow is done, put everything back.

The only downside to this approach is losing time for the live rock to seed the main display. But after 30-45 days, and after cuprisorb, I can buy more live rock. This way the fish can be enjoyed in the main display, so there's no rush treating with copper.

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got a shipment from nyaquatics last friday. i measured salinity and it was also 1.030. i ordered 5 anthias total. 2 were DOA. One had eye missing and the other had side injuries. the other 3 had side injuries and died by next morning. Contacted them and they said anthias are known to ship poorly and sometimes their organs get messed up. thats what the damage was from. We settled on them sending out 5 more anthias for next friday. hopefully these turn out better

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got a shipment from nyaquatics last friday. i measured salinity and it was also 1.030. i ordered 5 anthias total. 2 were DOA. One had eye missing and the other had side injuries. the other 3 had side injuries and died by next morning. Contacted them and they said anthias are known to ship poorly and sometimes their organs get messed up. thats what the damage was from. We settled on them sending out 5 more anthias for next friday. hopefully these turn out better

I don't see how a fish's eye could just go missing during shipment. If it popped out, it should still be in the bag. Having worked in wholesale for many years though, I do know it happens that fish get netted up and bagged having damage like this because the fish was keeping their bad eye away from the person catching them....

Do you happen to have pictures of the "side injuries"? I'm worried it might have been Uronema...

Jay

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how a fish's eye could just go missing during shipment. If it popped out, it should still be in the bag. Having worked in wholesale for many years though, I do know it happens that fish get netted up and bagged having damage like this because the fish was keeping their bad eye away from the person catching them....

Do you happen to have pictures of the "side injuries"? I'm worried it might have been Uronema...

Jay

Attachments

• anthias.jpg
    anthias.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower fish looks like Uronema. That is very often misdiagnosed as an injury. The only way to tell 100% would be to check with a microscope, but any anthias showing that type of lesion usually has it.
This is not possible to cure and you can’t diagnose it until the skin lesion starts. By then though the damage has already happened. I see this a lot in squampinnis anthias and green chromis.
Jay

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower fish looks like Uronema. That is very often misdiagnosed as an injury. The only way to tell 100% would be to check with a microscope, but any anthias showing that type of lesion usually has it.
This is not possible to cure and you can’t diagnose it until the skin lesion starts. By then though the damage has already happened. I see this a lot in squampinnis anthias and green chromis.
Jay
would that appear overnight though? they said fish were 100% healthy when they bagged/shipped and i got them the next morning

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would that appear overnight though? they said fish were 100% healthy when they bagged/shipped and i got them the next morning
Yep - the Uronema is hidden, killing the fish from the inside, by the time you see it on the skin, it is too late.
I hate Uronema, it is a real scourge!
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue hippo I got from them is displaying signs of discomfort. It keeps scratching on rocks. No outward signs. The purple tang I got from them has what looks like 3 ich spots. The copperband I got from them, they claim eats mysis. Has not touched any of mine and I had to go get raw oysters to make sure it ate.

Will probably not order from them again.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oof... I hope so but I would be surprised if they were any better. Uronema isn't something I would want to play around with.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue hippo I got from them is displaying signs of discomfort. It keeps scratching on rocks. No outward signs. The purple tang I got from them has what looks like 3 ich spots. The copperband I got from them, they claim eats mysis. Has not touched any of mine and I had to go get raw oysters to make sure it ate.

Will probably not order from them again.
They clearly lied to me, I wouldn’t believe a word NYAquatic says.

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They clearly lied to me, I wouldn’t believe a word NYAquatic says.
Thank goodness this tank is a FOWLR. I spent the last 3 days removing all the inverts I could so I could treat my main display. Just snails and hermit crabs. I think I got most of them. Such a pain, but I guess this is why you quarantine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 71 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back