Blue hippo tang bullying much bigger foxface?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I bought a blue hippo tang, about 1.5-2”, and a one spot foxface who is at least twice his size, maybe 4” or so. When I first introduced them the hippo tang went to investigate and it looked like he got poked by a barb? I guess not, but it sure looked like he was getting poked, regardless, shortly after he left the foxface alone and all was fine.

This morning I turn the lights on the QT on and the foxface doesn’t come out. Look in the piece of PVC he’s in and he’s still camo colored and breathing rapidly. I went to feed them and noticed as soon as he started the come out, the blue tang was all over him. Not being overly aggressive, no nipping or tail smacking, just all over him.

So I watch them for a few hours and the poor foxface was just super stressed out by this behavior. The blue tang literally will not leave his side, and that’s pretty much what he does.. just follows him around, circling him, sometimes lays on top of him. It’s weird. The foxface won’t fight back, just lays there with his spikes out looking very stressed.

So I caught the blue tang and put him in an acclimation box. Foxface is already MUCH happier and turning yellow again.

They are in a 30g quarantine tank currently, could this behavior be due to cramped quarters? Any chance they’ll work it out? I was thinking of introducing the foxface to the DT to give him time to settle in, but I’m really worried he has some sort of vendetta against the foxface and this behavior will continue. Thoughts?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I bought a blue hippo tang, about 1.5-2”, and a one spot foxface who is at least twice his size, maybe 4” or so. When I first introduced them the hippo tang went to investigate and it looked like he got poked by a barb? I guess not, but it sure looked like he was getting poked, regardless, shortly after he left the foxface alone and all was fine.

This morning I turn the lights on the QT on and the foxface doesn’t come out. Look in the piece of PVC he’s in and he’s still camo colored and breathing rapidly. I went to feed them and noticed as soon as he started the come out, the blue tang was all over him. Not being overly aggressive, no nipping or tail smacking, just all over him.

So I watch them for a few hours and the poor foxface was just super stressed out by this behavior. The blue tang literally will not leave his side, and that’s pretty much what he does.. just follows him around, circling him, sometimes lays on top of him. It’s weird. The foxface won’t fight back, just lays there with his spikes out looking very stressed.

So I caught the blue tang and put him in an acclimation box. Foxface is already MUCH happier and turning yellow again.

They are in a 30g quarantine tank currently, could this behavior be due to cramped quarters? Any chance they’ll work it out? I was thinking of introducing the foxface to the DT to give him time to settle in, but I’m really worried he has some sort of vendetta against the foxface and this behavior will continue. Thoughts?
Tangs need large tank as they are active swimmers and territorial. 30 gallon is a little too tight for him and a good sized fox face. Time to choose.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think tank size issue. My hippo bothers my foxface all the time and my fox is bigger. Hippos are just bullies. However I have in large tank and the foxface just moves along between rocks to get away and spines up. I think they will be fine in display as Long as it is big enough and hiding spots. Sorry to say this joe but would have bought and quarantined separately. If can move one to disobey I would move foxface first

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird turn of events... foxface and blue tang are sleeping leaning up against each other... what in the world. o_O

I hope it’s just the tank size. I know it’s not ideal but I got a killer deal on these guys, didn’t think the little tang would bother him but I was wrong. They are going into a 125 ASAP.

But seriously... what are they doing?!

C7296521-6CA9-4CC3-8735-11A27E997C34.jpeg E6D026CB-B304-4CD4-BEC8-0350804A3EDE.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird turn of events... foxface and blue tang are sleeping leaning up against each other... what in the world. o_O

I hope it’s just the tank size. I know it’s not ideal but I got a killer deal on these guys, didn’t think the little tang would bother him but I was wrong. They are going into a 125 ASAP.

But seriously... what are they doing?!

C7296521-6CA9-4CC3-8735-11A27E997C34.jpeg E6D026CB-B304-4CD4-BEC8-0350804A3EDE.jpeg
Spooning.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your good. Never seen a foxface that couldn’t handle himself. Who wants to deal with those spines. Lol. They still will square up to each other but be ok. Hope you get in display soon!

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface are generally skittish and overall nervous fish. Generally do best in a calmer tank. Blue hippos on the other hand tend to lean more aggressive.

Back