Blue hippo tang hiding and burrowing in sand don’t get it

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon tank with a blue hippo tang in there small size about 2 years old been doing it in all its homes keeps hiding behind rocks and bOrrows into holes made by my diggers
Few fish with her a yellow tang, two chromies, two damsels she’s been always doing this any time Somone comes to see her the tank she’s gone hiding won’t even come for feeding time don’t understand

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for Hippos. They eventually grow out of it (think at least 4 inches) but they are naturally shy fish with bodies made to fit into tight spaces.

It can be hard to get fish to trust you and people in general if they're kept in a place with light human traffic/minimal interaction. Hippos seem to be even more prone to this issue. When you have your hands in the tank (during feeding or work), make sure you move slowly and with purpose. Sometimes even standing in front of the tank for extended periods during the day with minimal movement can teach a fish that you are no threat to them.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for Hippos. They eventually grow out of it (think at least 4 inches) but they are naturally shy fish with bodies made to fit into tight spaces.

It can be hard to get fish to trust you and people in general if they're kept in a place with light human traffic/minimal interaction. Hippos seem to be even more prone to this issue. When you have your hands in the tank (during feeding or work), make sure you move slowly and with purpose. Sometimes even standing in front of the tank for extended periods during the day with minimal movement can teach a fish that you are no threat to them.
Yah I’ll practice this cause now she borrowed into a crazy hole hopefully doesn’t get stuck under my rocks

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I’ll practice this cause now she borrowed into a crazy hole hopefully doesn’t get stuck under my rocks
If she doesn't come out in over an hour without you in the room, you can try getting her out, but generally hippo tangs that look stuck usually aren't. Fish usually don't try to stick themselves in places they can't get out of.

Back