Blue Hippo Tang Turning White

Nimesh29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we had recently bought a small blue tang. We already have a bigger blue tang in our main aquarium. Today, we added the small blue tang into our main aquarium and they seem to be pretty friendly with eachother. The bigger blue tang does not seem to bite the smaller one or show any agression towards eachother. But, there seems to be a problem. We have noticed that sometimes when our bigger blue tang goes to swim with the smaller one, he seems to turn a grey-ish white mostly along the black parts of his body. Then after a while, the grey-ish white coloration seems to fade away. We wanted to know what some possible reasons are for this occurance. Thanks!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics in white lights will help with proper diagnosis. If u can't get a good pic try burst mode and see if you can get some clear shots.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippos can have bad color if not fed well, and develop HLLE over time. They also can just be temperamental and you could be doing everything just fine. Are you feeding it a good diet with greens, meat, high quality pellets with vitamin A, HUFAs and the like? A high quality pellet like New Life Spectrum can help with color.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tangs can change their color. Mine does that on occasion. It tends to do with their mood.

Attachments

• D45A6CD5-5E18-43CE-9DFC-070D8A9EC898.jpeg
    D45A6CD5-5E18-43CE-9DFC-070D8A9EC898.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 163

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back