Blue hippo tang white patches

Krilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can anyone help me identify what treatment is necessary for my blue hippo tang? I noticed them starting yesterday and before that it was very healthy. This morning it looks like the white dots spread out so I don’t suspect ich.

3416720A-E212-4FAD-8F2F-CDD48131E79E.jpeg 92BD22AA-FC5F-4EE0-A0F9-0E235070CEEF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very likely, and this is probably a bacterial infection and even looks like result of copper poisoning. If no copper was used, similar Infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more virulent, and more common in marine fish. Bacterial infections are often "secondary" to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Contibuting to can be poor water quality, open wounds and nutritional deficiency (which lowers the natural immune system) are all possible contributing factors of infection.
The Best treatment for a bacterial infection is a broad-spectrum antibiotic while also feeding Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2 are a great broad-spectrum antibiotic treatment when used together. Dose the kana & furan-2 at the same time, and the metro an hour before or after.

Antibiotic- Maracyn 2 or Ruby rally pro

Diet will play a role as well as optimum water quailty. The fact it happened so sudden is what needs to be identified.
Foods:
LRS Herbivore diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari veggie diet
mysis shrimp

Add selcon vitamins to its foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days- Garlic extract which helps with immunity health.

Ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .04
salinity 1.024-1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
temp 77-79

IF YOURE USING API TEST KIT, YOU MAY BE GETTING FALSE READINGS and then i would ENCOURAGE YOU to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what readings they come up with

OP
OP
Krilla

Krilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely, and this is probably a bacterial infection and even looks like result of copper poisoning. If no copper was used, similar Infections can be caused by either Gram‐positive or Gram-negative bacteria. Gram-negative infections are typically more virulent, and more common in marine fish. Bacterial infections are often "secondary" to a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Contibuting to can be poor water quality, open wounds and nutritional deficiency (which lowers the natural immune system) are all possible contributing factors of infection.
The Best treatment for a bacterial infection is a broad-spectrum antibiotic while also feeding Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2 are a great broad-spectrum antibiotic treatment when used together. Dose the kana & furan-2 at the same time, and the metro an hour before or after.

Antibiotic- Maracyn 2 or Ruby rally pro

Diet will play a role as well as optimum water quailty. The fact it happened so sudden is what needs to be identified.
Foods:
LRS Herbivore diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Hikari veggie diet
mysis shrimp

Add selcon vitamins to its foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days- Garlic extract which helps with immunity health.

Ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .04
salinity 1.024-1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
temp 77-79

IF YOURE USING API TEST KIT, YOU MAY BE GETTING FALSE READINGS and then i would ENCOURAGE YOU to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what readings they come up with
Thank you for the information! I will start treating immediately!

no copper treatment and I had it in a 10 gallon holding tank after treating with Erythromycin in a separate quarantine tank. It looked perfectly healthy up until yesterday.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back