Blue hippo unknown disease

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this hippo from a local guy he is definitely got something and was getting bullied by another tang. Can anyone help identify the spots on him.
thanks in advanc.

CB3EC717-52FF-47A1-8C3A-4C1EEB50A884.jpeg

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell. It doesn’t really look like ich. He may have some head and lateral line erosion in the face area. Overall he looks pretty good. He may just need some TLC and time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like flukes or lypmho from the size of nodules. To determine if flukes. in a CLEAN pail or bucket, give the fish a 5 minute freshwater bath. This guy will lay on its side and play dead- so you dont think its dead.
After 5 minutes return it to display tank. With a flashlight , look on bottom of container. If you see what looks like sesame seeds or fish sclaes- Those ae flukes.
If Not - You eliminated chance of flukes. Lympho associated with poor water quality and/or diet which also would cause the HLLE around its' face

OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I read the basic advice on hille if anyone else has anything to add I appreciate the help

Hiroshii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I read the basic advice on hille if anyone else has anything to add I appreciate the help
For HLLE soak it's food in selcon or other vitamin additives. Feed the tang with a good variety diet and maintain good water quality. It will help. I would do a 5 minutes freshwater dip to see if any flukes comes off. Remember to try match Ph in the bucket too. They will play dead and just lay on their sides. What I do when doing a freshwater dip is use a 5 gallon bucket try to get the fish swimming without causing too much stress. Look at the gills and make sure fish is breathing normally if breathing slows down too much end the dip.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this hippo from a local guy he is definitely got something and was getting bullied by another tang. Can anyone help identify the spots on him.
thanks in advanc.

CB3EC717-52FF-47A1-8C3A-4C1EEB50A884.jpeg
Looks like HLLE to me - the lesions around the face, the spots on the black stripe and the fin damage all points to that.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back