Blue Light Blocking Glasses, why not tint film or similar?

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been wondering about this for a while, but finally stopped being lazy and decided to post this question.

I love staring at my tank. I love it even more when I am wearing the Blue Light blocking glasses. The glasses make the coral pop so much more. That being said, why wouldn't I just get some sort of Car Window Film that mimics the glasses ability and wrap my tank in this film? In my mind, this will make the color of the coral pop all the time, instead of just when I put on the glasses.

Two questions:
1) Any downside to my idea of finding the film and wrapping the aquarium with it? I know that cleaning will be a bit more of a pain, but I'm ok with that.
2) If anyone else has done this, how did it work out and what did you use?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, have you ever seen such a film for sale or advertised anywhere?

I suspect it may be available as there has to be a film used in the making of photographic filters that do something similar. I have a photographic 'swatchbook' of filters available from:
Lee Filters USA
2237 North Hollywood Way
Burbank, CA 91505
800 576 5055
www.leefiltersusa.com

This sample book has 3.5" x1.5" films and there has to be 2-300 versions. I use several of the yellow ones over the small lens of my cell phone camera and they work well. Once I figured out which one I liked, I ordered one in the size I needed for my Nikon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a few sites that specialize in firm for windows (commercial use) and they have almost every color you can think of. I was thinking of reaching out to them to place an order, but wanted to see if anyone on here already thought of this and implemented it.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the question is, what color do you order?

And if you get tired of it, how easy and how well does it come off the tank?

Personally, I don't know of anybody who has done what you are asking about, so good question! ;)

jcs87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally came online to post about this and wanted to check if anyone else had the same idea. Any updates I’ll be following but I am also trying to source a tint. I have the camera lenses and they are 14k and 20k.. not sure if that would help with the type of tint everyone is looking for. I haven’t had any luck in finding anything

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you know corals in normal lights are just boring... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Steve Wallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to revive this topic. I have found that Vivid attempted to make this scenario happen, but I can't seem to find out if they are still in business. There were a few reviews online (see below) and it looks like it may have worked, but possibly not enough to justify staying in business. Any idea if someone else took this torch and ran with it?

Freakmachine01

Guess who I'v seen today... Everyone I looked at.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Steve, any luck on this? I just thought about the idea too as I had my refueling sunglasses on. I did a quick search online and somebody is selling a film on Amazon that supposedly does it but it doesn't have that many reviews but they do have a picture of what it would look like and you could definitely see the difference please let me know what you found out thank you.

angrymongorrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Steve, any luck on this? I just thought about the idea too as I had my refueling sunglasses on. I did a quick search online and somebody is selling a film on Amazon that supposedly does it but it doesn't have that many reviews but they do have a picture of what it would look like and you could definitely see the difference please let me know what you found out thank you.
What did you search for on amazon to find it? I wanna look fornit amd try it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back