BLUE LIGHT REEFING: So you like to look at your reef under blues?

Do you use BLUE (actinic) lighting to make your corals POP?

• YES

Votes: 688 81.5%
  • NO

Votes: 116 13.7%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 40 4.7%

• Total voters

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
still using t12 vho 6 blue uri 4 uri white 6' with ice cap ballasts 240 tank 24 deep,lights are 18 above tank ,some bulbs are from 90's use em until they burn out,165w ,sps dom tank old school will still grow anything
WP_20160405_001.jpg

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My controller is set to start and end the day with blue light but I enjoy a nice blend mid day. I like both. The fish look best under mid day sun and the early morning/late afternoon allow me to enjoy that nice glow from the corals. I personally don’t like the extremes though. Warm white light looks awful to me and pure blue all the time feels very artificial. I go for balance. I also ramp intensity up to mid day and ramp down, for a more natural experience. But to each his own - doesn’t bother me what anyone else does.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree sunrise to sunset 13hrs total

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use blue morning and evening lights. But it’s More to extend the photoperiod. If I had t5 retros with my MH instead of led, I’d use a full spectrum morning and evening. I like daylight better than blues.

Weller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My el-cheapo reef lights ramp the blue and white together but the lowest blue ever hits is 5%, usually after 8pm the white is all gone; my wife loves the blue light hours and often waits to see it daily. Imo the corals look better under natural light.

I also don't believe running blue is frowned upon; just a matter of opinion.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose, "Other." I run 4 A36Xs over my tank with no other lighting. There's no other supplementation. That said, the Kessils do give off a very blueish light. I spend a lot of time on the web camera for work, and can see just how blue it is.

As for how people light their own tank? It's their money, their choice. So long as the livestock is getting what it needs, what does it matter?
Put a polyp lab lens on the camera.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in SF in the 60's. The tank is a living black light poster. I call it The Lysergic Acid Diethylamide effect.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have so much blue the corals look fake, like the plastic corals that the TV show ATM in Vegas uses, they look florescent and stupid. More for children, not real. I've seen tanks so blue that the fish's color change and some that you can hardly see the fish !

Why would you want to change the real colors of fish & corals ?

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy do blue lights sure make those corals fluorescence (POP)! But why is it frowned upon? If the whole purpose of a reef tank is for our viewing pleasure then why not use whatever colored light, tank props or whatever to enjoy it? With that is mind let's talk about it today!

1. Do you use blue lighting to make your coral colors pop?

2. What are your thoughts on using blue (actinic) lighting for your reef tank?

image via @Orphek
LED-light-coral-pop-orphek-1.jpg
Ah a chromis fan I see? I have three myself!

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights normally stay around 12k or so... I think. I like to run a bit of blue for the corals to pop, and whites for the macroalgae (and it is so much easier on the eyes this way.) Although, my favorite time of day to look at the tank is late morning and early afternoon. The window is north facing, and tank right underneath it, so the light filters through and makes it look gorgeous. I wish I could replicate it with the cheapo lighting I have!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second post here for me. I use to run 10k mh with actinics so no ramp blue for an hour morning and evening but run all day. I hated the blue color back then especially when people went with the all T8 and then all T5. After seeing the variety of corals people have luck with and seeing that almost Windex blue down 30 ft under water why would you not go blue. I still don't want all blue all day but who does not like coral color pop with their own eyes. What your eyes see is never the same as a camera. When selling corals it would be nice to have pictures under blue and also under white but not practicable. When people ask what something is on a coral, rock, plug in all blue light I have to pass it over most of the time. I have never seen a coral have the same color six months after being in my tank. It is always what is pleasing to your own eyes or the eyes of your better half as long as you have enough of the correct spectrum.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually really like high blue coming from MH lighting. I used to run my tank much bluer than most when I had Halides. The blue that halides gave off looked so much more natural than the crazy blue from LEDs.

Exactly...my nephew just said, "too much blue sucks" !

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights don't have a ramp on/off function so I like to run the blues for about an hour on their own in the am before the whites come on, and for about an hour after the whites go off. Not sure it makes a difference to the corals, but I do know most of my fish are more active once the whites are on as well. As stated by others, I simply don't like spending so much time in a blue room haha

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, per Red Sea research.... corals use the 360-480nm spectrum to grow and not so much of the white. As a experienced diver, when you get past 10 feet the water begins to turn blue. I run my AI Hydra 26 HDs at 65% for the UV, Blues and 55 on the whites with ramping up and down on the blues 1 hour before and after the whites come on. My corals are growing very well.

Clint C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Max 130D has both blue and white with a timer on it to run the blue at night and a combination of the two during the day. I have no idea what the spectrum of lighting is but both day and night settings are wonderful to view. It’s your tank, enjoy it however it makes you happy.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Chlorophyll A and B..... why would you run anything but 400 to 500nm blue light??? Science backs the 400 to 500nm spectrum

20200127_174141.jpg
Red Sea confirmed this with their research. They have 4 You Tube videos on lighting posted.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back