Blue neon goby - internal bleeding/parasite?

Druinz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm pretty new to reefkeeping and the tank I've set up is a 20g tall with 15lb of live rock and a thin layer of sand. The tank has an AC30 along with a 530GPH powerhead. Have a heater and internal skimmer as well.

I noticed two things that concern me:
1. My blue neon goby has reddish marks on it's body. This severely worries me because it looks to be internal bleeding or some kind of parasite but I don't really know anything of marine fish diseases. I've been reading up and it doesn't have the distinct white dots to signify ich so I'm at a loss. In the picture you can see it towards the back.

2. There are weird critters on my glass. They don't look like the normal pods I'm used to so I'm a bit worried. They kinda look like tiny slugs. Pics attached, you can see two in it, with their oddly shaped heads that looks like a concave arrow.

I'm not sure if these two things are related but I feel like it may be important to give a fuller picture.
Thanks for reading

IMG_20190525_152122.jpg
IMG_20190525_152346.jpg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from knowledgeable with both of your situations you’re concerned with but my best guess based on your pictures is your goby has a bacterial infection & the slugs are actually a type of flatworm. Hold tight & I’m sure one of our members with a broader range of knowledge will chime in shortly.

Tumey ;)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marks on your goby could be a bacterial infection.
Another possibility is uronema, which typically presents with red marks/sores, although most commonly in chromis, not gobies.
Flukes are almost always a possibility as well.
If you want to treat, rather than just observe, you could do a freshwater dip followed by putting it in a hospital tank.
If you see flukes drop off in the dip, then treat with Prazipro or General Cure.
If no flukes, treat with Metroplex, Kanaplex and Furan-2 for possible bacterial infection.

The critters in the second picture are benign flatworms.
The whitish flatworms are common, don't reproduce fast, and don't cause problems.
They aren't related to your goby's condition.
Red/brown flatworms are a different matter, they can reproduce very quickly and wind up all over your corals.
They don't actually eat the corals but they can irritate them and block their light.

OP
OP
D

Druinz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm a bit nervous as I've never set up a hospital tank and moved a fish for something like this.. I want to make sure I figure everything out beforehand as to not make it worse for the fish..
If I set up a hospital tank just a day prior, would it be okay to add a HOB with ceramic media and just add nitrifying bacteria along with say a PVC hide hole for the fish? Is there more I should do?

Also is there any extra tips you can give regarding the freshwater dip? Watched a few videos and feel I got it but just getting more information doesn't hurt.

Thanks!

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again I’d have to research all of this myself before I could help you out. Let’s see if we can get the #Reefsquad back in here to give you some guidance.

Tumey ;)

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've pretty much got it for the qt, here are some links to help you out
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/
Okay I'm a bit nervous as I've never set up a hospital tank and moved a fish for something like this.. I want to make sure I figure everything out beforehand as to not make it worse for the fish..
If I set up a hospital tank just a day prior, would it be okay to add a HOB with ceramic media and just add nitrifying bacteria along with say a PVC hide hole for the fish? Is there more I should do?

Also is there any extra tips you can give regarding the freshwater dip? Watched a few videos and feel I got it but just getting more information doesn't hurt.

Thanks!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
It's ok to be nervous, I just went through it myself. It's not as bad as you think. Here is a video on fresh water dip. Use a blue or black bucket if you have one so you can spot the flukes easier if you have any fall off. I used a critter keeper and was still able to see them. It will bother you more than the fish. After I done my first fish the other 14 was a breeze.

A qt is simple, see if this helps.

Beginners Guide to Acclimation and Quarantine
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-acclimation-and-quarantine.304980/

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I set up a hospital tank just a day prior, would it be okay to add a HOB with ceramic media and just add nitrifying bacteria along with say a PVC hide hole for the fish?

Yes, you can do this easily. This is how I setup all my quarantine tanks...a day before and bacteria in a bottle. Don't forget a heater and thermometer...and seachem ammonia badge

OP
OP
D

Druinz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I've got the tank set up and I feel I'm ready. Now I'm just stuck on catching the little buddy, LOL. I set up one of those bottle traps that seem to usually work, so hopefully I can treat him today. Thanks for the information thus far! I'll keep the thread updated every few days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back