blue or yellow spot stingray in a 180, please advise.

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
So I am contemplating getting a blue or yellow spot stingray in my 180 FOWLR. Current inhabitants are
queen angel, 4"
french angel 5"
flame angel 2"
yellow spot goby(sand sifter)
2 clowns
3 anthias
royal gramma
4 chromis
6 line wrasse
cleaner shrimp
urchin

I am just wondering if either of them would be too big for a 180. I have at least 60% of the sandbed clear, just lots of rock towers, so lots of room for it to swim around. My question is this. Will it outgrow the 180? What does it eat, and will it eat any of my fish/inverts in the tank? Any other advice would be good. Also, my sand is not superfine, but its not coarse either, its kind of inbetween. Any advice would be great, since I dont want to hurt the animal, but it would be awesome to have. I will not get both, just one or the other.
Thanks

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not that worried about that, since the shrimp hides in the rock at the top of the tank. I thought rays usually stay close to the sandbed.

AJ Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ray would out grow that tank unless it was devoid of rock on the sand. The angels would pick at the ray. The small fish would eventually be eaten. 100-150 is a going rate for a blue spotted ray.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided against it, just not good for the animal. Thanks for the help.

vamaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping rays for the last 4 years. The Blue spot rays are difficult to keep. I tried 2 times and they just refuse to eat with gusto. The Cortez also known as the California ray is a much better choice for an aquarium. You tank is fine for a ray. 99% of the fish that I have kept leave the rays alone including my angels and triggers. I did have a major problem with a morish idol and a porc puffer. They both would bite the tails. I keep a blue face angel now. It occasionally pecks at the ray to make it move out of the way but it's not an ongoing aggressive attack.

They will not eat cleaner shrimp. They love to be cleaned!

Here is the bad news. They will eat a small fish if it goes under the disk of the rays. They will not hunt for the fish. Most small fish know to stay away for them.

I don't have a reef but one concern would be them knocking over frags. If everything is glued down you should be fine.

My rays act as my clean up crew and keep the sand really clean.

OP
OP
ReeferBill

ReeferBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided against getting one. Even though they are super cool, the threat that they MIGHT eat my fish/shrimp is too much. I had a blue spine lobster once that some people said might eat fish and stuff. The darn thing was really awesome, coolest invert I ever had, but it ate over $200 in fish from my tank. I think it ate them when they were sleeping, so I got rid of it. Oh well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back