Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus) Success Stories?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keeping these? I've tried 3 times and I'm 0-fer in keeping these. 2 died in shipping and one survived shipping, made it through QT, then vanished in my display after a month or so. Anyone keeping these and have a success story? This is really the last fish I'd like to add to my 75. Pics would be nice too.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Reef Chromis

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same fish?

I had one for a few years, a LONG time ago, never had any issues with it.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you say the name, I think you are right! Bummer. :( I was hoping that you just had a "bad batch" or something....

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with them, but they are very pretty fish. I recently saw some Bluefin Chromis at my LFS and I want those as a school in my tank.. so cool with the yellow and the blue...

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six, they are good fish. They are not shy at all, sometimes when I fill my cup with tank water to thaw my fish food a couple end up in there.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran across a good deal on these fish so I ordered 6. Only one didn't survive shipping. They are very small and it will be a long time before any of them end up in my 75. The remaining 5 are in a 20 gallon QT. 4 of them huddled up together and one is hiding behind the heater.

b1db9fb4.mp4 video by ritter6788 - Photobucket

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal! I was going to suggest that you get several. Mine stay togeather always.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran across a good deal on these fish so I ordered 6. Only one didn't survive shipping. They are very small and it will be a long time before any of them end up in my 75. The remaining 5 are in a 20 gallon QT. 4 of them huddled up together and one is hiding behind the heater.

b1db9fb4.mp4 video by ritter6788 - Photobucket

I started with eleven, two died because of fault of my own, the other tree died mysteriously. It is my experience that when one is not part of he group it is going to die or be killed by the group. They will weed out the weak ones, once weeded out the rest will live seemingly forever.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got home last night all 5 were in a group hanging out in the tank. I fed them some PE mysis and they ran from it like they were scared. :D They all ate some of the smaller pieces once they figured out what was going on. I need to feed them something smaller though. Some of the larger mysis didn't get eaten.

One thing I noticed was that on some sites they are listed as Caribbean species, "Expert Only" and difficult to care for. One site even had them listed as not covered under arrive alive guarantee. These I bought were from the Florida Keys and listed as "very hardy". I hope these are a tougher bunch than the Caribbean species I've tried to keep before.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got home last night all 5 were in a group hanging out in the tank. I fed them some PE mysis and they ran from it like they were scared. :D They all ate some of the smaller pieces once they figured out what was going on. I need to feed them something smaller though. Some of the larger mysis didn't get eaten.

One thing I noticed was that on some sites they are listed as Caribbean species, "Expert Only" and difficult to care for. One site even had them listed as not covered under arrive alive guarantee. These I bought were from the Florida Keys and listed as "very hardy". I hope these are a tougher bunch than the Caribbean species I've tried to keep before.

So how are they today?

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. :) I've been at work all day and I didn't check this morning. Lights on the QT don't even come on until about 3pm.

That may be a good thing. I was going to suggest, if they are still a little spooked, to dim your lights for a day or so.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All are doing well. Eating like pigs and already come to the glass when I go to feed them. I've been feeding them dry cyclopeeze and they go nuts for it. I love how these fish change color. There is almost always one in the group that is solid black while the others are bright blue. I'm not sure what the black signifies but if I can keep these together and observe I hope to find out. When I feed the black one turns blue instantly.

9f806b23.mp4 video by ritter6788 - Photobucket

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back