Blue reef chromis spitting out all food - anything I may have overlooked?

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a blue reef chromis that I picked up on the 16th, moved it into copper and ramped the level to 2.0 over the course of 3 days. One white spot that looked like ich, and a small amount of damage to a tail fin, but no other issues visible. The fish was eating at well at first, then started spitting out food (API GC blended with Garlic Guard or entice). Non-medicated frozen brine worked okay (although not msyis), so I switched to that with the intent of going back to the API GC food after I hit the 2 week mark and moved the fish to a new QT. Over the last week, the fish has been eating less and less, and at this point is spitting out all food. I've tried soaking in GG and Entice, the fish samples every piece and spits it back out. BBS seems to work, but I can't raise enough fast enough to keep the fish alive.
Yesterday I took the fish out and moved him to a new tank, with the intent to use TTM to finish the ich QT process. At the same time I dosed Furan/Metroplex/Kanaplex into the tank. The fish is still not eating, although it's been less than 24 hours since the tank swap. Should I be patient and give things more time, or is there anything else I should consider doing in the meantime?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider getting the fish out of meds and into a fresh tank. Feeding a mix of frozen cubes: cyclops, brine, mysis, reef mix, etc. might entice it to eat. That fish has a pretty fast metabolism and needs food asap. Can always pull the fish out for brief 60-90 minute"baths" if needed for suspected bacterial infection.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding some garlic to the food. Sometimes that helps to get them to eat. Some think it helps with the immune system as well, which is a separate topic, but it does seem to help get them to eat.

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider getting the fish out of meds and into a fresh tank. Feeding a mix of frozen cubes: cyclops, brine, mysis, reef mix, etc. might entice it to eat. That fish has a pretty fast metabolism and needs food asap. Can always pull the fish out for brief 60-90 minute"baths" if needed for suspected bacterial infection.
I thought about that too (which is why I moved the fish out of copper), but I'm wondering if there's something else going on, like internal uronema, which is why I went with the antibiotic cocktail. I've tried several other frozen foods and a couple dry ones - brine is the only thing I've had success with so far.
Baths are an option that I haven't thought about. I do have Rally available, along with a fair number of things that don't require a prescription.

Try adding some garlic to the food. Sometimes that helps to get them to eat. Some think it helps with the immune system as well, which is a separate topic, but it does seem to help get them to eat.
I've tried Garlic Guard and Entice- there doesn't seem to be a notable difference.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that too (which is why I moved the fish out of copper), but I'm wondering if there's something else going on, like internal uronema, which is why I went with the antibiotic cocktail. I've tried several other frozen foods and a couple dry ones - brine is the only thing I've had success with so far.
Baths are an option that I haven't thought about. I do have Rally available, along with a fair number of things that don't require a prescription.
An old rule of thumb was that you could use antibiotics like kanaplex, Furan2 as a "60-90 minute bath" at twice the dosage for a normal QT. And it can be more effective depending on the situation. But with increased handling and cleanup of the fish and equipment as the trade off. Remember to aerate and heat during 60-90 minute baths. Can add a bit of tank water during treatment to help stabilize ph, etc. during the bath.

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice- I'll perform a bath this afternoon and move him into a new tank.

Any harm in doing a 50% water change and doing the bath in the existing tank, or would it be best to move him to a new container? It will have been 24 hours since I dosed to the tank.

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the fish to a tub for the bath just to be certain I wouldn't have issues (I know one of the medications can cause liver damage). I'll get it in a new tank and see how the appetite goes.

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this morning, the fish was still looking slightly stressed out (possibly from the transfers?), So I put a towel over there front of the tank to block sight of me. That seems to have helped and the fish is back out in the open. Still spitting out food though, even after soaking in garlic or entice. I've tried a few different types, no difference.
My assumption at this point is to stay the course and do another Furan-2 bath today, but no metro or kanaplex. Continue to offer a variety of food and hope the fish eats, then siphon out leftovers.
Anything else I should consider?

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage to the tail has worsened and now looks like fin rot. Now the fish is having troubles maintaining attitude and is swimming head up.
I'm out of ideas- is there anything else I should do?

IMG_20200329_073835.jpg

OP
OP
Rendgrish

Rendgrish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it. I want to thank @Big G for the suggestions- although not in time this time, it will help for the next.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back