Blue/Regal tang in a 120 gallon mixed reef tank

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, please don't get angry about the title. I am going to set up a 120 gallon mixed reef tank at the end of this year or the beginning of next year. So, I will have a purple tang and a tomini tang. But to reduce the aggression by a little. What will be the best third tang? The two best options I have till now are a blue/regal tang and a sailfin tang. These are the two best options I have. For the title I asked if I can keep a blue/regal tang in a 120 gallon tank since for the aquascape, I want it to be like an island and it will not be touching the glass on any sides. The aquascape will be a minimal one. So, the tang will technically have a swimming space of eight feet instead of four feet. Since it will be able to around the aquascape without stopping. I will also have a refugium and an oversized protein skimmer. If there are any other tangs instead of blue tang and sailfin tang that I can keep with the purple tang and tomini tang please let me know. Thank you. Have a great day.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in a 120 you’re limited to two smaller Tangs, I’d at most do a Tomini and a Yellow / Purple. Sailfins need 8’ tanks and Blue Tangs also need bigger and longer tanks though there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on the tank size needed for them, I’d say 7-8’ 210+.

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a small scopas or mimic as I have them both in a 90. Great citizens, never any aggression between the 2 and they blitz any algae that shows up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try something smaller like a gold rim.

Swimming in circles isn’t equal to 8 feet.

Back