Blue spot Jawfish discoloration of scales

Michael Hagstette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I woke up this morning and noticed my blue spotted jawfish not in his normal area in the tank. I just checked and now his markings dont look right. Tank has been setup over a year and all other inhabitants are active and healthy. I've had the jawfish for about a year. Any idea how to save him or what's going on?
I do know they like cooler water. I keep this tank at 75 degrees

20210818_125134.jpg

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for quite a long time keeping him at 76... Unfortunately I lost him to what I can only guess to be old age. The discoloration of the scales and odd behavior you describe leads me to believe it may unfortunately be BSJ disease. I could be wrong but they are known to get it. It is mostly unknown why and what exactly it is/how to treat it.

OP
OP
M

Michael Hagstette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's the only thing I've found online. I haven't added any fish to create stress events either. I guess I'll have to QT him and treat him with the meds for BSJ disease

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a result of the water temp. Most people I have known to keep these at reef temps find that one year is kinda the longest they last. Most people don't realize their natural environment has an average of 50-60F throughout the year, only really tropical temps in the summer.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lasted about 4 months. Super healthy and eating like a pig. Then one day he started to deteriorate.

Back