Blue Spot Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti)

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost precisely a year ago I decided to give Blue Spot Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti) another try.
I had a pair before but, unfortunately, they died in a tank crash in September 2017 while I was not at home. Those two I got from Live Aquaria and I assume I just got lucky that they turned out to be male and a female. I had those spawn once but it seemed that the male ate the eggs for some reason.

Getting pairs of Jawfish can be tricky as they are gonochoric and don't change sex once matured. And the majority of Jawfish doesn't have clear sexual dimorphism or dichromatism (the only exception I know of is O. randalli where the females have a black spot at the front of their hard dorsal fins. The males don't have this spot.)
With most Opistognathus species the males hold the eggs in their mouths during incubation and therefore have slightly larger heads. However, the males of the Blue Spot Jawfish do not hold the eggs in their mouths but rather take care of them inside a dedicated chamber of their burrows. Due to that difference in care for their offspring, males are in my experience smaller than females and have narrower heads and more slender bodies. Though this is rather hard to spot on the young individuals you generally find in stores.
According to Steve Robinson who collected them in Mexico, in the wild the Blue Spot Jawfish forms large colonies with hundreds of individuals on sandy planes. Usually, 4 to 5 females are situated around the burrows of the males. In the wild, they usually stay around 3 feet away from each other, and males are usually at least 6 feet from each other. However, in captivity, they will accept to be closer to each other as long as there is only one male in the group. Two males will fight to the death.

They are found at depths between 5 m and 25 m (16 to 82 feet), which puts them clearly above the thermocline. This means that the water temperatures they are found in resemble the surface temperatures:

Sea of Cortez water temperatures.JPG

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_California#Temperature

I kept my previous pair at room temperature in the living room (no heating in winter or AC in summer) and they were still active at 18 °C. However, when the temperatures dropped all the way to 16 °C in the winter they holed up inside their burrows and didn't come out for days.
On the other end of the scale, they handled peak temperatures of up to 31 °C for a few hours as long as it cooled down for the night.
These guys have a very wide temperature range and are best kept in a tank that follows a seasonal temperature pattern.

In early June of 2019, I picked 2 out of a number a local store had had for a while. I hoped I picked right but it soon turned out that I picked two females.
So a month later I bought another one but took care to do a better job of selecting a male. I just added the new one to the two females and right from the start, he acted differently so I was pretty confident that I had finally a male. But I had to wait almost 10 months before I got the ultimate confirmation when he stayed slim and started flashing while the other two got fatter and fatter.
And after a month of courtship, he finally spawned with one of the females
I definitely plan to do my best to capture and raise at least a few of the babies.

Here a few videos of them:

These were the two females 4 days after I got them:

The females 6 days after I got them:

End of April, beginning of May I noticed that something was going on and sure enough, I caught the male flashing (at 3:04) while one of the females (the one in the right "front" corner) started showing off her belly to signal she was interested (from 11:08 on):

At the time of this video he had been doing his dance for almost a week and the females still pretty much ignored him. But the female in the front was pretty gravid and sooner or later she had to mate with him:

Video from Friday night before the spawn - Both females were extremely agitated.

The females a day after the spawn. The male is watching the eggs in his burrow and didn't open it up all day. At the same time, both females decided to rebuild their burrows...

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a day in seclusion the male opened his burrow again but didn't leave it, not even for food. The females were almost done rebuilding their burrows.

The day after that he only opened his burrow in the afternoon. When I fed the tank he snapped some food but never went all the way out of his hole.

I really hope he sees this through to the hatch and I can collect most of the larvae.
I have an excessive amount of Brachionus right now, S and L type, and therefore would have plenty of food for the little ones.
I also have plenty of large tubs to use as larvae tanks.
Only thing missing right now is a nauplii collector for my copepod cultures... still trying to figure out how to build one with the materials and tools I have on hand.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last two nights I added the larvae trap in case the eggs may hatch early but given the current cold-snap and their tank hitting temperatures as low as 22 °C that seems rather unlikely.
The male is back to eating and is also flashing again and the females start getting round again. He still closes his burrow quite a while before the lights go out which lets me hope that he is still having the eggs in his care.
The earliest hatch date should actually be Monday (day 10 post spawn) but it could also be as late as Friday (day 14 post spawn).

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larvae trap was empty again this morning but there are still at least 4 more nights in the reported 9 to 14 day timeframe. I will actually keep the trap going until next Monday to be on the safe side since the temperatures in my tank were lower than the 25 °C the Mexican researchers kept theirs at.
The male still acts differently, so there is still hope he still has the eggs.
The female who had spawned with him is gravid again and she switched burrows with the other female. So even if it doesn't work out this time there are more nests to come...

While I'm waiting for the eggs to hatch I'm working on a better larvae tank and look into better ways to collect the larvae.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 days and still no larvae. At this point, I'm no longer sure that there is still anything to come from this spawn. But the female that spawned the last time is full of eggs again and it looks like they may spawn again soon.
Interestingly, the other female doesn't seem to be ready to spawn yet. So far she is just watching. And she never closes her burrow at night... which is right below the larvae trap.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They spawned again this evening. The female was still like a ballon when I checked on them at 6 pm but when I checked again at 10 pm she was back to normal. The male's burrow entrance had obviously sustained some damage but was rebuilt and closed off.
Let's hope this time works out better.

In the meantime, I will see if I can come up with a better larvae trap that can operate continuously on an overflow. The Vossen trap I use right now is not really suited to the task of running all the time and its screen is way too dense.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sand bed for these guys? I love jawfish and my tank isn't suitable for them right now but if I ever redo it, breeding jawfish is high on my list of goals.

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow amazing thread, I’ve had my eye on these fish for quite sometime but I was told by a person at my lfs not to get them because they won’t last very long. The reasoning being that they use cyanide to catch them which affects their immune system. Here you are having 3 and they spawned that is awesome

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your sand bed for these guys? I love jawfish and my tank isn't suitable for them right now but if I ever redo it, breeding jawfish is high on my list of goals.
About 4 inches but more would be better.

Wow amazing thread, I’ve had my eye on these fish for quite sometime but I was told by a person at my lfs not to get them because they won’t last very long. The reasoning being that they use cyanide to catch them which affects their immune system. Here you are having 3 and they spawned that is awesome
To my knowledge, the only and easiest way to catch them is with hooks. Using Cyanide would just result in them retracting into their burrow and die there.
These guys use their mouth to transport garbage (usually their own poo) and foreign objects out of their burrow. They take it in their mouth, exit their burrow about a body length and spit it into the current. This behavior is used to catch them: The hook is lowered into their burrow and they recognize it as a foreign object and try to remove it the usual way and zap - they're on the hook!

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out that Bluespotted Jawfish now also come in from Nicaragua.
Those are not the true Bluespotted Jawfish, Opistognathus rosenblatti, but rather the Panamanian Jawfish, Opistognathus panamaensis, a decidedly tropical species.
The Panamanian Jawfish has a few color differences: on the tail the blue spots are more likely to merge into lines that with the true BSJ:

Opistognathus panamaensis:
Opistognathus panamaensis, I_RR896

Copyright Gerald Allen, 2006

Opistognathus rosenblatti:
Opistognathus rosenblatti, I_RR900

Also, the white in the male's mating coloration goes not just to the begin of the soft dorsal fin and anal fin but all the way to their middles:

Opistognathus panamaensis:
Opistognathus panamaensis, I_RR2754

Copyright Ross Robertson, 2006

Opistognathus rosenblatti:
Opistognathus rosenblatti, I_RR902

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for sharing all the information. I had a couple of the more common jaw fish in a 29 gallon tank for a few years. They were a lot of fun. Do you know what there life expectancy is?
How do you think 3 would do in a 300 community tank. None of my fish arr aggressive. The most aggressive fish I have is a multicolor angel. It mostly harasses my lemon peel angel. It was actually protective of my second very small charib angel when I introduced it to my tank. My charibs seem to be bonding more and more lately.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what is Steve Robinson up to these days? Is he still collecting in Mexico? I bet it has been 25 years or more since I have seen him.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what is Steve Robinson up to these days? Is he still collecting in Mexico? I bet it has been 25 years or more since I have seen him.
Last I heard was that he was training Philippine fishermen how to catch fish without cyanide.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for sharing all the information. I had a couple of the more common jaw fish in a 29 gallon tank for a few years. They were a lot of fun. Do you know what there life expectancy is?
How do you think 3 would do in a 300 community tank. None of my fish arr aggressive. The most aggressive fish I have is a multicolor angel. It mostly harasses my lemon peel angel. It was actually protective of my second very small charib angel when I introduced it to my tank. My charibs seem to be bonding more and more lately.
No idea on the life expectancy but I would think they should get at the very least 3 years in captivity, likely more.
I have seen BSJ doing fine in community tanks so it should be possible.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I heard was that he was training Philippine fishermen how to catch fish without cyanide.
Again? He was up to that 30 years ago! In fact that is how I met Steve. He was attending the pet industry trade shows gathering support to end cyanide collection. I was working in a booth sponsored by Aquarium Products and Reef Lake Systems. He and I both knew George Smit the guy who stared the reef tank trend in the U.S. If you know how to contact him send me a pm. Small world indeed!
Love the tank you have developed for breeding the blue spots!

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must have spawned Sunday evening but it seems it was a fail as I found the egg mass on the pump intake:

20200705_184208_Film2.jpg

The eggs are large and the larvae likely no more difficult to raise than Amphiprion larvae. The difficulty is to get them to keep the eggs until they hatch and then to collect the larvae...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back