Blue Spot Toby Puffer Black Spot

jonathan23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, on my blue spot toby, he has an identical black spot on both sides of his body, on pretty much the exact same spot. Is this disease or is this normal for puffers? Thanks. I was thinking it was disease at first but the fact that he has an identical-looking spot on the exact opposite side of his body makes me feel like that's just him. He acts completely normal in my opinion and eats fine, but if this is a disease I want to get rid of it asap because these black dots mess with his appearence.

IMG_4304.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, on my blue spot toby, he has an identical black spot on both sides of his body, on pretty much the exact same spot. Is this disease or is this normal for puffers? Thanks. I was thinking it was disease at first but the fact that he has an identical-looking spot on the exact opposite side of his body makes me feel like that's just him. He acts completely normal in my opinion and eats fine, but if this is a disease I want to get rid of it asap because these black dots mess with his appearence.

IMG_4304.jpg

Generally, except for head and lateral line erosion (which this isn't) most diseases, especially parasitic ones are not laterally symmetrical. That said, I've not seen this coloration on a toby before....

How long has it had these spots?
Have they grown in size?
Any difference in the color between night and day?

Jay

OP
OP
J

jonathan23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, except for head and lateral line erosion (which this isn't) most diseases, especially parasitic ones are not laterally symmetrical. That said, I've not seen this coloration on a toby before....

How long has it had these spots?
Have they grown in size?
Any difference in the color between night and day?

Jay
I first noticed them very small about a week ago and now they have definitely grown in size, also they're both the same black night and day. I have no idea what this is, I was doing research online, and nothing. Any chance this could be some type of parasite or none at all because they're symmetrical? Also, I just double-checked and it definitely is almost perfectly symmetrical as my eyes can see. Sometimes he does rub against the rocks but I read this can be normal behavior sometimes for puffers. And like I said he doesn't act sick other than maybe that, swims around the tank actively all day, eats good, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first noticed them very small about a week ago and now they have definitely grown in size, also they're both the same black night and day. I have no idea what this is, I was doing research online, and nothing. Any chance this could be some type of parasite or none at all because they're symmetrical? Also, I just double-checked and it definitely is almost perfectly symmetrical as my eyes can see. Sometimes he does rub against the rocks but I read this can be normal behavior sometimes for puffers. And like I said he doesn't act sick other than maybe that, swims around the tank actively all day, eats good, etc.
Growing spots, that only appeared a short time ago, even though they are symmetrical are still pretty suspicious. Trouble is, they aren't a sign of any disease I'm familiar with. You could try dosing with Prazipro based on the symptom of rubbing on the rocks - that is a pretty clear sign of a problem, usually flukes, but also possibly copepods.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back