Blue Star and Leopard Wrasse Successes

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I’m a little late here, but, I’ve had a pair for a month with no difficulties. They certainly don’t look like they eat, which alarmed me at first, however, upon closer inspection they eat the tiniest remains of frozen or they feed of off my coral food or pods. I’ve heard stories about how much nightmares they are to keep alive, however, my anecdotal experience has been otherwise...

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like wrasses so much I am going to try again with the Leopards, but this time from my LFS. I’m done with Liveaquaria.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I’m a little late here, but, I’ve had a pair for a month with no difficulties. They certainly don’t look like they eat, which alarmed me at first, however, upon closer inspection they eat the tiniest remains of frozen or they feed of off my coral food or pods. I’ve heard stories about how much nightmares they are to keep alive, however, my anecdotal experience has been otherwise...

As mentioned it really comes down to getting the right fish. Many don't ship well and don't make it, but the hardier/more adaptable ones are really just as easy to care for as say a Melanurus, Christmas or other easy to care for wrasse. That's one of the reasons why I feel that Difficult for the care level listed on most sites is a misnomer, you either get a fish that is impossible to keep alive for any real length of time or you get an easy to care for fish. Mine on the other hand is a voracious eater and will rip large chunks of reef frenzy out of other fish's mouths (even my foxface and coral beauty have had it happen to them).

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they only stock what is ordered by people, or were you just talking about the holding part.

They stock what they get in a shipment. They won’t or can’t order anything specific and no holds over 24 hours. Must have gotten burned many times in the past.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another LFS that is further away that does just that and I don't buy from them much. So I take it when your LFS gets stuff in that people go on a fish frenzy and clean them out? If not then they do probably get several leopards in on occasion that might last a while.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like wrasses so much I am going to try again with the Leopards, but this time from my LFS. I’m done with Liveaquaria.
One of the best stores in my area won't try and stock bipartitus anymore because they are such poor shippers.
Even after getting them alive, many perish within days.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because the Blue Star (bipartitus) is one of the most common leopards that folks have success with. I can understand not wanting to deal with Leopards in general though as it is a big risk for an LFS.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The success I had with the leopard wrasse started with a specific qt set up designed for just them. Added sand and a rock and macro with live pods added to tank. I immediately dosed prazi pro, and followed up with a metro/focus mixed in food once they started eating frozen. I started feeding with live brine shrimp and after they eagarly and readily fed on that, I started mixing in frozen brine with the live. I added more pods when necessary and fed the larger ones small live ghosties. I then started mixing in frozen mysis/brine with the live brine. I stopped the live brine then found they would eat many prepared foods offered. But without the treatments for internal parasites you'll likely have very poor success. Ive passed this routine over to a couple of other local reefers that never had successs, they both now have trios living in their reefs.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe my LFS had a large male Blue Star Leopard Wrasse almost fully transitioned for $70. I couldn’t help myself.

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went there to buy the Adorned Wrasse they have. Never seen one in person or one available online.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the Leopard’s won’t survive on frozen, and flake foods?

Mine lives on Reef Frenzy and Seaweed. It occasionally pecks at the rocks, but I doubt it's getting much in the way of pods or anything else. It's approaching 5 months in my tank so it's definitely getting food from something.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for a female Blue Star to transition into a male?

One factor is tank dynamics, if there are other wrasses, and what the hierarchy is. I've seen them transition rather quickly within a couple of weeks when there were less dominant wrasses and especially other female(s) of the same species. I've seen it take what seems forever when they were the only wrasse in the tank, and seen transitioning males go back to to female when introduced into a tank with a more dominant. So the answer is "your guess is as good as mine".

OP
OP
67chevellemalibu2

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Male Melanarus and a Christmas Wrasse. I just acquired a large Blue Star Leopard Wrasse transitioning into a male. I would say it’s about 80% fully transitioned. I was just wondering. Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back