Blue Star Leopard, Black Leopard and Choati Leopard wrasse life spans

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always thinking that these leopards lived for 3-5 years max since other wrasses such as fairy wrasse and Flasher wrasses have life spans like this. So how long are they actually meant to live for? I would love to know this because my Juvie Blue Star was most likely only a month or two old when I got her. I would like to know about the other two just to find out how long I would be able to keep them and if they would maybe overlap eachother (My dream tank would hopefully have Two leopards, A Black and A Choats).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is directly proportional to the amount of time a lid resides on the tank. It's really hard to say, to be honest - as size of the tank, substrate depth, water parameters, feeding, other reef inhabitants (etc.) all play a role - not too mention any unintended illnesses that may be introduced.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is directly proportional to the amount of time a lid resides on the tank. It's really hard to say, to be honest - as size of the tank, substrate depth, water parameters, feeding, other reef inhabitants (etc.) all play a role - not too mention any unintended illnesses that may be introduced.
I constantly keep a lid - I have had 2 wrasse try to jump and the lid have saved them (the third died from hitting the metal pole the lid had to secure it).
Let’s say everything else was perfect (I know this isn’t always true, and not everything stays the way you want it to), then have the maximum amount of years that you could own it for - Like it’s full life span in the wild.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-10 years seems to be the conservative estimate in captivity.
Thankyou! I’m hoping I can keep Atleast my Blue star that long, and eventually go into the Black then maybe try a potters before going deep into the wallet and trying a choats.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou! I’m hoping I can keep Atleast my Blue star that long, and eventually go into the Black then maybe try a potters before going deep into the wallet and trying a choats.
If that's your goal, then good luck to you!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine live about 7 years in captivity. Almost all my Leopard wrasses were small juveniles when I get them. My Male Black Leopard recently passed. I got a new baby one only about 1 inch.
New Black Leopard, abused by tank mate at LFS, but is doing well in my QT tank now.
BlackLeopardWrasse2023051402.jpg

My Male Leopard recently passed. Nuptial coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2020041101Male.jpg

Base coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601.jpg

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine live about 7 years in captivity. Almost all my Leopard wrasses were small juveniles when I get them. My Male Black Leopard recently passed. I got a new baby one only about 1 inch.
New Black Leopard, abused by tank mate at LFS, but is doing well in my QT tank now.
BlackLeopardWrasse2023051402.jpg

My Male Leopard recently passed. Nuptial coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2020041101Male.jpg

Base coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601.jpg
Beautiful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back